EF Air Conditioning Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2004, 23:17   #1 (permalink)

Question EF Air Conditioning Problems

Has anyone heard of modifying the EF air/con fans to run all the time. A local Auto Electrical firm indicated that Ford Ef had a problem running higher than normal temperatures. I spoke to Ford and of course they either arnt saying anything or are just stupid. They claim there is no problem. On the other hand, the Auto Electrical firm could be attempting to generate a little extra business/revenue.

The other propaganda being spread around is that the aluminium used in the EF series was a porous metalurigical type and the Condensors and Evaporators leak Very Very slowly and leave a stain on the cores. I have also noticed this oil stain around many of the wrecking yards on many other EF's. Ford are also saying nothing or being Stupid again. Any comments would be welcomed discussion.
keep research is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 00:48   #2 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Re: EF Air Conditioning Problems

I've had a bit to do with EF A/C problems. The electrical firm is correct in saying they run hot, its to do with the compressor itself not getting enough airflow due to the front area design of the EF, the higher pressures with the CFC free gas and higher underbonnet temps according to the taxi industry.

The compressor is a Jap one, Sanden iirc and I believe there is an uprated one that copes better with the heat/new gas. Also, there is a lower pressure gas that reduces the strain on the complete A/C system that can be used, can't remember its name but any A/C place should know it.

To answer your question, lowering underbonnet temps is the way to go and turning the thermos on when the A/C is in operation can only help with this and should be fairly cheap to do.

When you think about it Ford dealers arn't going to see many A/C problems with these cars, the EF warranty was something like 2 years/50,000k's, the A/C comps generally last much longer than that and I suspect would be onto the 2nd or 3rd owner before it fails and is taken to the local mechanic rather than a Ford dealer.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 03:08   #3 (permalink)
EFII Ghia owner

problem is the air con fan is very loud
Old 01-18-2005, 04:10   #4 (permalink)

OK... thanks for the replies. I am back on this topic. I would like to have a go at wiring up some thermo fans. Question is what type do I use. How many and what modifications do I need to do to the wiring system.. I tried to talk to a auto garage but they were reluctant to tell me how to wire in the fans. They were only interested in quoting me the $100 odd dollars to bring it in for them to do. Would anyone have a wiring diagram or knowledge of this. This would be a good thread to place on the forum for all to access. Cheers.
Old 01-18-2005, 20:52   #5 (permalink)

I have a wiring diagram to modify the EF-EL fans to run full speed when A/C is on
I have used it many times in the work shop with great results in n/nsw climate
I can email the diagram to you if you want it .

BIGDOG
BIGDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:38   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Bigdog...My email is markwh@aanet.com.au
Old 01-19-2005, 18:51   #7 (permalink)

keep research

You Have Mail

BIGDOG
BIGDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:53   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Bigdog.... It appears that two relays are used. But both relays are earthed out through terminals 87 and 85 on each relay. What is the function of the two joining wires coming from terminals 86 to the compressor clutch (light blue). I am a bit rusty on my electrics. Havn't played with this for over 10 years. Cheers
Old 01-20-2005, 14:45   #9 (permalink)

The OLD Pulsar I have switches both fans on when the air con is running. It NEVER gets to half way on the gauge with both fans running. It also swicthes the air con on when you select reverse to give the system a run in case you are not using it. All this in a crappy 15 year old Australian built Pulsar.
Porous Aluminium in the radiator, where'd you get that useless bit of information from, lol?
Only thing with aluminum radiators is you have to be careful of electrolysis. They reckon it can destroy a new one in a day. You have to put a (positive) multi meter probe i nthe filler neck (and earth the black one) and check for residual current.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:40   #10 (permalink)

And if their is presence of residual current, what then?
Maybe their is a link between the porous aluminium and electrolisis.
I can understand that electrololisis can turn aluminium porous.
What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons