EF-EL 6cyl; 2.5in Cat Back Exhaust (8-10kw gain)? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2005, 14:35   #1 (permalink)
jjj

EF-EL 6cyl; 2.5in Cat Back Exhaust (8-10kw gain)?

Hi Guys

I was just reading an autospeed article about Jim Mock and he claims that a madrel bent cat back exhaust generally gains 8-10rwkw on an EF-El 6cyl Falcon.

Has anyone's 6cyl EF-El got this sort of power increase after having a cat back sports exhaust fitted.

He also reckon's this is the first mod you should do and you don't need to modify your intake unless the car pulls more than 140rwkw.

He also said that the EF dual intake pipes work better than the EL and AU single bore pipe.

Another thing he said that a pod filter inside the airbox works alot better than an after market drop-in panel filter.

Anyone agree/disagree with these comments?

Cheers Luke.

1 Owner vehicle,
78000km's on the clock (12-1-05),
Showroom condition with all the fairmont goodies,
Metallic Silver.
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2005, 15:01   #2 (permalink)

!

I had some trouble with the ignition on my EL XR6 5 speed, which has a cat back 2.5" system with intermediate and rear mufflers (no front resonator), and a lovely iron hand in velvet glove subdued note. Until the drama it had never been near a dyno.

To confirm all was OK I put it on a friend's dyno. The operator ran up the car, studied the screen, scratched his chin, checked a few parameters and quizically asked what I'd "done" to it. I said nothing, apart from the ex system. Very surprised, he informed me that I was getting 132 kW at 150kM/hr in 4th gear on the rollers. He recorded the figure as the best he'd seen on a car of my type.

I have no idea what I was getting before, but I'm not unhappy at all with the output. I do think the exhaust helps, but I have no way of verifying to what degree.
fordboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:54   #3 (permalink)

Re: EF-EL 6cyl; 2.5in Cat Back Exhaust (8-10kw gain)?

i don't know about Kw figures, but the 2.5in catback on my mates fairmont gives it a bit more power and the 90mm PVC pipe i made his intake with seems to have a dramatic effect on the smoothness of the engine....altho i think there is somethign wrong somewhere between the intake and the catback bcoz it "putts" when you rev it in neutral...even if its only a few hundred above idle.
But i can say that 2.5 mandrel is good for at least a few Kw and the tube from the airbox to the first elbow can be made better to improve smoothness. (bigger diameter)
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:50   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

Re: EF-EL 6cyl; 2.5in Cat Back Exhaust (8-10kw gain)?

I had a 2.5 inch cat back on my old EL and I doubt it is worth 8-10kw. Maybe 3 or 4 kw at the most. The only difference i noticed is that the engine did rev out a bit easier.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons