EF or EL? What is better to buy? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2003, 20:30   #1 (permalink)

EF or EL? What is better to buy?

I am looking at buying either an ef or el sedan.
Looking at Futura up to a fairmont ghia, but preferably a fairmont.
What should i look out for in these cars?Any common problems?
Are high k's a problem? Do g/boxes fail at any stage? 6 or V8?
Any feedback appreciated.
bLowMYeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2003, 20:47   #2 (permalink)
Road Warrior

I currently have an EL Fairmont 6cyl.
It has all the luxo features without being too expensive.
At the time I couldn't make my mind up on an EL or EF.
Just liked the different grill & numberplate surround that the EL had.

Problems so far (at 170,000k's)
Washed the motor & needed a new Coil $90. (Stupid Me)
And just now getting new Discs, Pads & Front Wheel Bearings installed (~$800)

No other problems that I generally hear of.

Cheers
600 Horsepower Through The Wheels.........
Christ!
She's Meanness Put To Music
and This Bitch Is Born To Run........

note:
Avatar pic taken at on a Public Road, not at Calder Park raceway.

Thanks Goran as I have pinched your Signature
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:11   #3 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

Re: EF or EL? What is better to buy?

I am looing around at the moment, and have found a nice EL Sapphire 148,000 1997 model for $12,000 and a nice EL GLi 120,000 1998 Model for $14,000

Looks like am getting the sapphire. I have always been told to steer clear of the EF too many problems, and to stick to the EL. I am not sure as to the accuracy of this statement, as the EF's seem to be pretty reliable.
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:23   #4 (permalink)

my EF's been great to me.
its on 140,000km's or so and has had no major $$$'s spent on it.
few little things replaced like brake pedal switch thing, thermostat housing gasket but thats about all really.
my car on Dual Fuel but its still verrrrrrrrrrry reliable.
those seem real high prices though.
my cars had the normal services since i've got it.
had the trans serviced and LPG serviced, but thats all.
i got my EF Gli with 100,000km's on Dual Fuel for $11,000
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:56   #5 (permalink)
BA Turbo

G'day mate,
I own an EF series one Futura, I think its great. Damn reliable, always starts. Plenty of go, specially the EF model cause theyre a little lighter than the ELs. The seem to have more push than the ELs. I think you'll find little difference between the two.

The only few things that Ive found with it that I think you should know that you might change your mind about getting an EF over an EL;

The EFs standard rear suspension is way to choppy on bumpy uneven roads, and can be very dangerous in my opinion if pushed hard. It snaps to overstear and is real scary I think. On the freeway it can be a little weird aswell with bad directional stability and the steering wheel doesnt feel right.

Ive also have driven an EL Saphire (more or less a Futura, just a "special" pack) quite a bit, and everything that I found problematic with the EF was well sorted. Suspension was great, well sorted on the choppy roads, and it felt way more stable at high speeds. Steering felt more consistent and lighter. A better sorted car. The AUTO trans is FAR FAR more responsive in the EL, shifts smoother - and for that matter shifts. The EF auto computer is a pretty "dumb" device.

I reccon the EL engine sounds WAY better, and is quieter (an opinion in this case). Brakes are pretty much the same, both bad - no joke get some better gear stuff - I have.

Well thats my experience pretty much. Good luck mate. If you want to know anything else just ask!
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:08   #6 (permalink)

good points made there.
i've never driven an EL but i can tell u my EF II suspension is still a bit iffy at times.
its better now as i have EL XR6 springs in it and have 235 rubber so its a lot more stable. but when it was in stock trim it was no where near as stable.
my auto trans seems to shift fine for me, a little slow when its cold but thats expected.
Mine gets a lot of road noise, which i expect would be better in an EL as the windows are 2mm thinker.
my tyres contribute to the noise also which makes me want to sound proof my car more.
i'm always thinking my doors are open as the door seals must be crappy
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:10   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
The AUTO trans is FAR FAR more responsive in the EL, shifts smoother - and for that matter shifts. The EF auto computer is a pretty "dumb" device.
That's strange, as they are exactly the same in both models.

There is no "auto computer" in EF or EL I6 models, the V8 has a seperate trans computer, again the EF and EL are identical.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:16   #8 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

EL Ghia No problems to mention but the Ef's coils are a bit dicky, electric windows sticks a bit
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 21:09   #9 (permalink)
BA Turbo

Re: Re: EF or EL? What is better to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGhia
That's strange, as they are exactly the same in both models.

There is no "auto computer" in EF or EL I6 models, the V8 has a seperate trans computer, again the EF and EL are identical.
I disagree!!! :)

Ive driven two EF's all be it a wagon and mine(sedan), and they both have the same behaviour. Got into the EL, and the transmission seems to be leages ahead...

Im not sure how the electronics work, but the EL's shift patterns, and the way the transmission drops the rpm when coasting to just above 1000rpm with no throtle pressed (like when you take the ECON button off in the EF) -saving fuel, says to me that there is definately something different there... Also the speed of shift is faster as well. Maybe cause the EFs are older could be attributed, but not to a degree where it would make all that a difference...

The tranny in the EL seems so much more "cleaver" than the EFs tranny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
i've never driven an EL but i can tell u my EF II suspension is still a bit iffy at times.
its better now as i have EL XR6 springs in it and have 235 rubber so its a lot more stable. but when it was in stock trim it was no where near as stable.
might have to try this cleaver idea. i hate the rear end of mine when the roads start to chop up a bit. ive got 225 rubber on mine, made a massive different to stock rubber... specially directional stability at freeway/hwy speed!
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 21:31   #10 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

The 'E' series in general are well-renowned for head gaskets going between 80 and 120000km. Just keep it in mind as if it hasn't been done, then most likely you will have to do it (I found out the hard way - thankfully under warranty). Also, the EF has a coil pack and the EL has a dizzy - I think that tells us something about the coil packs.

As with all newer models the EL is generally a better car than the EF. If you manage to find an EF2, it is also better than the EF (some minor suspension tweaks, etc).

Both the 6s and 8s are great - if I hade my way, I would go the V8, just for the lazy torque they have. Though I did vote with me feet and get a 6 - this was more for 'preceived' fuel economy reasons. Looking back, there is bugger all difference between the 6 and the 8 anyway - especially the way I drive.

So to sum up - If you like the ugly front of the ELs as a package with a slightly more refined car, then the EL would be the way to go. If you like a better looking front, with slightly less refined car, go an EF2. The Fairmont (or Ghia) front is the pick of the bunch, IMO, and you can get them for around $10-12K. A bit more for the V8.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)

Last edited by JC-XR8; 09-23-2003 at 21:33.
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons