EF/EL XR8 Mods & Information Wanted - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2004, 06:04   #1 (permalink)
EF & ZH owner

EF/EL XR8 Mods & Information Wanted

Hey guys,

Ive been thinking about it now for along time and Im currently looking for an EF/EL XR8. Im just interetsed in what mods you can do to them and im after some pictures of a modded up one, maybe a pic of the engine bay etc etc.. What are the inj 302 like and what can you do to them to spice em up a little.

How would an XR8 go against say a VR/VS SS?

Do they come out with power windows? What options do they have compared to a EF futura? (dont wont power windows..GRR) lol

if you could help me it would be very appreciated.

EF2 Futura - 2.5" zorst - K&N Filter - 3" intake - xr8 CAI - Wade 1004-14 Cam - Pacemaker PH4480 xtractors - 15" stockies

77 ZH Fairlane 500 - 302clevo - straight lpg - 12 slotters

God bless the lord, Henry Ford.
XCHASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2004, 14:36   #2 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Re: EF/EL XR8 Mods & Information Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCHASR
Hey guys,

Ive been thinking about it now for along time and Im currently looking for an EF/EL XR8. Im just interetsed in what mods you can do to them and im after some pictures of a modded up one, maybe a pic of the engine bay etc etc.. What are the inj 302 like and what can you do to them to spice em up a little.

How would an XR8 go against say a VR/VS SS?

Do they come out with power windows? What options do they have compared to a EF futura? (dont wont power windows..GRR) lol

if you could help me it would be very appreciated.
EL XR8 are a top car. Look for a series 2 which came out in Oct 97. This way they have a differant intake manifold called the explorer intake. Flows heaps more that the standard HO intake used oin the series 1. Series 2 also had 185kw wheres the sseriies 1 had 170kw. Other differances were the exhaust system was slightly revised and MAF was slighty larger as was the T/B. The series 2 also had 3:45 gears whereas the S1 had 3:23. Takeoff was improved slighlty.
With mods to the car, The heads are the most restrictive part on the car. These can be replaced with aftermarket ones or even the AU V8 'GT40P' heads. T/B can be replaced with again larger 70mm AU XR8 and MAF too. But this all comes at a cost.
Both the series 1 and 2 had front electric windows only.

Hope this helps
Old 03-01-2004, 15:15   #3 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Hey XCHASR,

Browse the windsor section for mods on the XR8s... Lots there from Strokers, Heads and cam specs...
http://www.fordforums.com/f498/
Old 03-01-2004, 17:01   #4 (permalink)
EF & ZH owner

thanks guys. so ELs2 is the way to go? what about EFs?

EF2 Futura - 2.5" zorst - K&N Filter - 3" intake - xr8 CAI - Wade 1004-14 Cam - Pacemaker PH4480 xtractors - 15" stockies

Old 03-01-2004, 22:01   #5 (permalink)
Vic
Underachiever in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
...EL XR8 are a top car. Look for a series 2 which came out in Oct 97. This way they have a differant intake manifold called the explorer intake. Flows heaps more that the standard HO intake used oin the series 1...
So would the series 2 intake on the XR8 fit onto an EL Fairmont Ghia V8 with no dramas?
I have been told by my insurance that I can have a different air intake on my car that they will allow under the modifications list. I have heard of the K & N air intake and now I'd like to know what differences there are between it and the explorer intake in terms of fitting and performance gains? Can you guys help?
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 02:08   #6 (permalink)
EF & ZH owner

anyway, back on topic.. *ehem* lol..

What are the EF XR8's like?

Old 03-02-2004, 16:38   #7 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

The EF's were basically the same as your Futura. Front power windows, clock, full instrumentation, slightly better front seats and material. The 6 was 164kw and the 8 was 165kw, but with more torque down low. Also, the 6's had 3.45 diff but the 8's had 3.23. Best bet would be for the SII EL XR8, I think they also had standard twin airbags if I remenber correctly!!!

AUII XR8 (200kw), Silhouette, Body Kit, Hawk Wing, 5 Speed man, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, Genie Extractors, 3" exhaust with twin 3" tips, K & N filter with air scoop, Polished Inlet manifold, MAF & 70mm T/B, T series interior handles & Gear stick ring, Chequer plate, Momo Pedals.
TwinPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 23:01   #8 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

EB - EL1 were basically identical motors. All should put out 165 or 170KW (depending on model and whether XR or not).
EL2 (as mentioned) basically gained a better intake manifold and revised computer, and the 16's as standard.

XR8 V Vs SS, I'm not sure, probably close (although it might head towards the SS, it's lighter I think).
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 23:31   #9 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic
So would the series 2 intake on the XR8 fit onto an EL Fairmont Ghia V8 with no dramas?
I have been told by my insurance that I can have a different air intake on my car that they will allow under the modifications list. I have heard of the K & N air intake and now I'd like to know what differences there are between it and the explorer intake in terms of fitting and performance gains? Can you guys help?
Interesting - my insurer panicked as soon as I mentioned intake
It should be a simple bolt-on proposition for the ELII Explorer intake. However, they are hard to find. Easier to find are the Explorer intakes fitted to the AU XR8's - however these require some modification to fit on EL's (there is a thread on it in the windsor mech section if you search).

K&N intake, I'm assuming you mean the air-filter ? A K&N filter will improve performance very very slightly (probably not noticeable, and probably won't change dyno readings). The Explorer intake we are talking about is the actual Intake Manifold, which roughly speaking splits the air intake into 8 separate channels (one per cylinder), and has the injectors mounted in it - it sits between the heads (should be silvery grey), and consists of two parts, and upper and lower. Both upper and lower need to changed when moving from HO to Explorer intakes.
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons