Ef XR6 odometer problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2007, 02:56   #1 (permalink)

Ef XR6 odometer problem

Hi i was just wondering does anyone know anything about this problem i am having with my 96 xh xr6 odometer display. The display is digital and is really dull during the day. At night you cant even see it. I know it works because i can see it in the daytime clocking over as i drive. I have played around with the dimming switch but this does nothing. I am just putting this question out there hoping someone else has had this problem, if not i will just have to stop being lazy and start fault finding it myself. Cheers
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2007, 07:07   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ef XR6 odometer problem

check your fuses
falcon2502v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 00:01   #3 (permalink)

G'day,

The odo is illuminated by a very small wedge type globe that comes on with the ignition, so that it's illuminated day and night. It's probably blown, and you'll need to replace it.

You have to remove various parts of the cluster mouldings, starting with the radio surround that sweeps up and over the instrument cluser. Take out the ashtray, remove the screws behind and then remove 3 (or 4) screws above the instrument glass that have to come out too. Carefully prise off and remove the moulding. Then remove 4 screws that hold the instrument cluster itself into the firewall and withdraw it towards the driver. Lower the steering column for better access.

The odo lamp is a small twist and remove type holder on the underside of the cluster. Remove that and replace the insanley small globe. Don't forget to buy one before you start the job.

Then you'll be grateful that the globes have a reasonable life, as having to do this painful job too often would be, well, painful.

Good luck.
fordboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:17   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Ef XR6 odometer problem

sure was that little bulb that was blown... excellent! Did exactly what you said fordboy98. cheers for your help
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 23:20   #5 (permalink)

Hi Dougie,

Glad to be of help. Looks like you've nailed it. Sure is a fun little job, isn't it!
fordboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons