'EFFEN' Insurance & Keeping the ED (Very Long) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2004, 18:20   #1 (permalink)
{';'}

'EFFEN' Insurance & Keeping the ED (Very Long)

Here's the run down:

I've owned my ED Falcon I6 for about 18 months. Petrol did pretty well as I went to TAFE that was about three kilometres from my house. Work was about 3.5 kilometres! Hence, petrol wasn't much of a worry for me and I used to get by, by filling up once a fortnight ($50-55).

It's been insured (3rd Party-Fire-and-Theft) with AAMI since I got it. It's now costing under $400 a year which is perfect as I can't really afford much more.

Well times have changed and I go to Uni that is 15km there and a further 15km back in peak hour traffic . I'm starting to fill up a lot more now which is a pain in the arse, or should I say, wallet? So I'm thinking, "wouldn't it be nice to have a modern little four-banger to save petrol?" But I'd miss the power and this club! So, "no", I think to myself, "I will keep the E-Series."

But then... Being a car enthusiast, more to the point, an E-Series Enthusiast, I want to mod my car! Who here doesn't? So I've got some wheels, slotted brakes, tinted the windows, done some minor cosmetical changes etc., but that doesn't cut it. I want superlows (that I have bought and are sitting under the bed), exhaust and all the rest. I want to be sensible about it so I'd obviously tell the insurance company in case the worst does happen.

So I ring up AAMI this morning... They're fine with the wheels, and as soon as I mention the suspension it's a big no-no! How the f$%! do they figure? So I give Just Car Insurance a bell, and for those mods (excluding exhaust) it will cost over $700 not comprehensively insured. Try over $1500... How the f$%! do they figure? Young and Cool Insurance is a crock of shit wanting over $2000... How the f$%! do they figure? Let's be honest, if I am gonna spend money modding it, then I want it comprehensively insured. But if it costs more to insure than the parts itself, why would I bother?

How do you young guys manage? This is really pissing me off. I know a lot of you pay $000s of dollars, but some of you have really nice cars - XRs and nicely worked Falcons etc. And if you can afford those, then I suppose you can afford big insurance $$$. But mine is a grandpa-Falcon FFS! The mods I've done don't increase the car's power, nor would superlows.

At the moment I am too frustrated to make a logical decision. So am I being crazy thinking of ditching the E-Series and diving into a 2.0l Focus or 2.0l VW Golf? And at my car's age, it is starting to need those little niggling pieces of maintenance, more money. Yes, I'd have to get a loan. But I wouldn't need to pay it back until I finish Uni. And no, I couldn't use that loan money to go towards my current car and/or insurance...

Help me guys :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2004, 18:26   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: 'EFFEN' Insurance & Keeping the ED (Very Long)

Well 32 standard EA Ghia, garaged, cost me about 500 for full insurance, I have an alarm too.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 18:29   #3 (permalink)

EF GLi with a few mods listed with just cars, $1300 rating 4.
hate insurance :(
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 18:36   #4 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Insurance absolutely sucks... I told AAMI my EA was stock (it's not likely to have any accidents when off the road anyway) because it was the only way I could afford insurance for it at all.

Regarding general running costs, you may consider buying a wrecked LPG E Series from the auctions for a few hundred and having your car converted. An LPG Falcon is among the cheapest to run of any cars, anywhere.

Another thing about insurance is that people have been known to get different quotes on the same car just by speaking to different representatives. It's worth your while to keep shopping around.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 19:01   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Tried RACV for 3rd party, fire and theft? I know you said you want compro with mods, but if not I believe RACV allow most stuff.

I'm with AAMI and it's been suggest I put XR/S springs in it. Being a factory option it's not a mod as such, so I believe I can get away with it. But heck, I can't afford springs right now at any rate, haha time to buy some of them clamps for the springs
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 19:06   #6 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Clamps is about the best way to get yourself disowned by insurance, let alone they suck big time, i would steer well away from them.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 19:13   #7 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf

i purely get 3rd party fire and theft, with a wreck recovery option

as i have poored so much into my falc. the mods i have now make the car almost uninsureable, 3rd arty fire and theft cost me 800 bucks a year atm, full comp insurance is something like 4200 a year... not worth it.

the car it self is only worth no more then 2k.

so with my wreck recovery option, if i have the unspeakable happen, the other car is repaired.. i get to take mine home, find a replacement parts/car and transpose all the go fast bits of my car into the new one.

look into this option.

cheers.joe.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 19:16   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
Clamps is about the best way to get yourself disowned by insurance, let alone they suck big time, i would steer well away from them.
lol I was joking

Half the reason I want stiffer springs is to lose my boat like body roll, not just lower the thing.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 19:22   #9 (permalink)
Nobody Likes To Walk

Try suncorp they will let you have almost anything with 3rd party...they are damn expensive at full comp but ive found 3rd party they are pretty much the cheapest. Im not sure how they go when you need to make a claim (and hopefully i wont have to find out) but if you want cheap have a look at their website.
Old 03-03-2004, 20:34   #10 (permalink)
1.3 Kilometers per Litre

I've got an NL Fairlane. Came out of the factory with Tickford suspension, Tickford rims, Tickford steering wheel and a Tickford engine (although that one's not officially on the books...).

According to all of the insurance companies, my car is modified. AAMI wouldn't touch me, even though I've been with them for years. The only place that gave me a decent quote was Just Cars, but even then they screwed me down a rating so I'm paying $1100 for fully comp. Stingy bastards.

The worry is:
Don't declare the Tickford extras, only get $13,000 if the car gets written off, if at all as my policy would become void the moment the assesors see the wreck.
Declare the extras and I get $24,000.

Either way you go, you get screwed, so my suggestion is try and find a place where you will get screwed the least. It shouldn't hurt as much then...

My other car is an M113

SWB's
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons