EFI responsiveness - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2003, 18:14   #1 (permalink)
P Plater

Question EFI responsiveness

I dont know if this has been asked before but i am interested in knowing what you people think of the responsiveness of EFI on the falcons. Both my parents own falcons, An AU on duel fuel and a BA falcon and i have noticed that neither are as responsive as my XF falcon. For example, if you "tap" the accelerator with the engine running they both rev up after you take your foot off?
On my XF, which is carbie, it revs up instantly. I have also noticed that they dont respond as quickly in normal driving.

Anyway, back to the point. what are you guys opinions on this topic.

Tom

Pioneer Deh-1550
Resopnse XL series 12inch subwoofer
Ford front factory speakers
YellowXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2003, 21:18   #2 (permalink)

Re: EFI responsiveness

YellowXF I know the feeling.

I have a 3 speed EFi XF and my parents drive an AU Fairlane. With the XF i put my foot down and it kicks back instantly but with the AU, you put your foot through the firewall then it pauses for about .9 of a sec, kicks down and powers all the way out.

I think this could be due to the different gearboxes, accelerator cables, (fly by wire? don't exactly know what that is), VCT on the AU or maybe just new tech associated with ABS/traction control.

I have noticed too that if you rev the AU up at idle, it slowly decelerates back down and it can be harsh sounding. VCT perhaps?

Maybe someone else could shed some light
subsbligh35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 21:24   #3 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

I imagine its in the gearbox.
XF are only a 3 speed and mechanical so they kick down faster.
The AU and other 4 speed electronic autos take forever to kickdown.
Dad's 3 spd EA kickdown is much faster than mum's 4 spd EA.
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 22:07   #4 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

I thought the new cars reacted to the driver, so guessing your parents dribble along mostly, like most parents do, the car wouldnt know how to react, but if it was driven for a week coping a boot full, i am sure it would respond completely differently.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 23:41   #5 (permalink)

I find our Futura I6 very responsive to throttle touches and just lightly resting your foot on the accelerator causes an instant rev increase. Most responsive I've ever experienced. With the gear lever knocked over to performance mode it kicks down very quickly, on light throttle you can feel the torque converter locking in/out with very small inputs and it wants to kick down as low a gear as possible when given the chance.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 23:53   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
I thought the new cars reacted to the driver, so guessing your parents dribble along mostly, like most parents do, the car wouldnt know how to react, but if it was driven for a week coping a boot full, i am sure it would respond completely differently.

Dellboy999
I'm not sure the exact time frame, someone will confirm but if you were to run a quick series of hard acceleration runs in series it would alter the auto's shift pattern immediately after this so it would not take long to change the responsiveness.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 20:21   #7 (permalink)

Having handed my XF to my wife and moving on to an EFI of another brand (89 model) I find it hard to think of the XF as being responsive. All XF's I have driven/owned fall into the category of sluggish. Reliable, Yes, but still sluggish. The gearbox on my current car is still Mechanical so that's probably no comparison but it certainly makes the XF feel like a sluggish boat. Even if an XF does kick down quicker than an electronic box the XF motor and gearing (I'm talking stock) mean there's not much hope of responsive behaviour. Once they hit 120 or so on the freeway they seem to be quite responsive as they are pretty much designed for cruising.
mongoose3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 22:38   #8 (permalink)
FPV GT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curls
I'm not sure the exact time frame, someone will confirm but if you were to run a quick series of hard acceleration runs in series it would alter the auto's shift pattern immediately after this so it would not take long to change the responsiveness.
Should be able to disconnect the battery for an hour or so and then when you reconnect the ECU will be in learn mode so it should change its shift if you thrash it around a bit after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons