EL Fairmont, or fairmont ghia - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2002, 02:07   #1 (permalink)
ex ea driver

EL Fairmont, or Fairmont Ghia

At the moment I'm looking at upgrading. I have been thinking of a Fairmont Ghia lately and would like to know what people who have owned one of these, or who have driven one, think of them. Are fairmonths are just as good?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Jason.
CATman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2002, 02:15   #2 (permalink)

Get the ghia mate i'm pretty sure from efII the fairmont ghias had Tickford running gear ie engine,trans+suspension.
the ghia IMO
XE351Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 02:20   #3 (permalink)

Get the Ghia for sure CATman. As said above, from EFII onwards your basically got an XR6 auto with luxury stuff included...especially if you go and get Tickford suspension also.
I had one and it was great.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:27   #4 (permalink)
ex ea driver

Thanks guys, also with the interiours were they full leather, or just some of the seats and stuff?
Old 11-26-2002, 02:31   #5 (permalink)

CATman, from EFII to EL they were full leather in the Ghias so another reason to go one of them!
Then when AU hit, Ford went back to Partial leather in the Ghias with Full Cow optional, same as EF1
Old 11-26-2002, 02:32   #6 (permalink)

not to sure on interiours CATman
XE351Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 02:36   #7 (permalink)
ex ea driver

thanks, I have a mate that had a EF fairmont ghia with partial leather, and I didn't know weather they were all like that or what, thanks, and if I'm correct isn't that when the fairmont got the tickford trick bits??
Old 11-26-2002, 03:06   #8 (permalink)
goooone

You can tell the series 2 because the ghia badges are writing rather then the dinky little badges they had been using previously
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 21:27   #9 (permalink)

CATman,

EFII and EL all had partial leather as standard. Full leather was a no cost option. So some have full leather, others dont. I have a 98 EL Ghia, with partial leather, which I prefer.

EFII onwards also got the XR6 engine, with XR6 computer and transmission calibrations. They have the standard Ghia exhaust, so they drop a 3 kw. Dont have XR suspension as standard, was a $5000 option when new. They only way you can tell the different engine is the red rocker cover, without tickford wings like the XR, but there is a tickford logo stamped on the front of the head.

I managed to find an EL ghia with XR6 16" wheels and suspension, and trust me they are alot of fun to drive. This way you get an XR6 in every way, with all the fun toys and stereo of the ghia.

Fairmonts are just as good, have a mate with EL fairmont V8 with XR suspension and wheels. He loves it. The only things you miss out on are the leather, stereo, badge, engine and some extra soundproofing.

Good luck in the search.
ARM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 23:49   #10 (permalink)

el ghia my self

catman
I am considering the same ,I will go for an el ghia,with all tickford options(wheels/suspension/body kit),sunroof,full leather,premium sound,dont think at this stage I want a v8

A thing I would like to know,did FORD produce an el ghia wagon,and could you get all the options of a sedan had as I would take one of them.

Thanks
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons