Ford Forums banner

EL Fairmont Ghia 5L - Kw?

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  smciner1 
#1 ·
We have recently added the EL (98) to our all Ford line up of 5L's, pick it up tomorrow. However I was under the impression the stock standed output was 165Kw. I have now readed twice that it is 170Kw. Can someone confirm or deny this?

Also what is the differenece between the EL to get 170kw compaired to the 165Kw's?

#2 ·
Afaik, the standard EL V8's were 165KW's. The EL1 XR8 had 170KW, with the EL2 XR8 boosted to 185KW.

To be honest, I'm not totally sure of the difference between the 165 and 170, but would guess it was either chip or exhaust related.
The 185kw got a better intake manifold ( explorer upper and GT(?) lower ).

#4 ·
Never really bothered to check if it was a series II or not, when did the series II start coming out?

Considering its a 98 model and the AU's come out in 98, it'd be a nice supprised think you bought a 165kw to get 185kw.

#5 ·
Re: Re: EL Fairmont Ghia 5L - Kw?

Walkinshaw said:
If its an ELII Ghia 5.0L it has 185kw.
Incorrect. Only the XR8 got the power boost from October 1997 builds onwards, no other EL V8 model was upgraded to 185kW.

The "series 2" XR8 got the Explorer upper intake manifold (and staggered lower), a better exhaust manifold, and the 3.45 diff in the manual. Also picked up 16" rims as standard.

#6 ·
Well we have picked it up and apart from a great ride, I check the manual out, its only 165kw, the XR8 as Mr Sparkle mention is 185kw. Thanks for the help guy's.

Also anothing I noted was someone on the forum was saying the I6 version of the Ghia had an XR6 engine, the manual also says this is incorrect, it's out put is better than the standard I6 but about 2kw less then the XR6 (if that really was an a big deal in the grand scheme of things).

#7 ·
THe fairmont ghia did get the XR6 engine, but as it has a more advanced power steering system, the engine dyno reported 2 kw less from the factory. Engines are same, but power steering system uses a bit more of the power up.
If you dont believe me, take a fairmont ghia for a drive, then jump straint into an xr6, you will notice the difference.

#9 ·
The EL Fairmont Ghia , and the EFII Fairmont Ghia had the XR6 engine in it. However the power difference was purely from different exhaust (sodium filled I believe).
As for performace difference, I suspect the extra weight and different diff ratio would be as much a factor as anything.

#13 ·
The V8 is LSD & 3.45 in all ghia's

#14 ·
Re: Re: Re: EL Fairmont Ghia 5L - Kw?

Mr Sparkle said:
Incorrect. Only the XR8 got the power boost from October 1997 builds onwards, no other EL V8 model was upgraded to 185kW.

The "series 2" XR8 got the Explorer upper intake manifold (and staggered lower), a better exhaust manifold, and the 3.45 diff in the manual. Also picked up 16" rims as standard.
What he said. Apart form the XR8, the rest f the Falcons and Fairmonts made do with the 165kw 5.0.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.