EL Falcon potential problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2003, 04:25   #1 (permalink)

EL Falcon potential problems

Hi. I'm intersted in any notorious problems in the EL falcon (wagon), particularly if driven harder than normal (mayb the occasional journey above 4000rpm....)- A friend has a BMW 318ti and he thinks he can beat me (um, no) and he wants me to prove it...will be interesting in the wagon.
Thanks a bunch

DM
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2003, 04:39   #2 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

No real problems caning the car as long as you dont start bouncing it off the limiter for too long. Your radiator is full of casting sand from the block so you may want to have it flushed ASAP. I got mine done for $200. They took it out and flushed all the crap out and put a new head on the radiator. They showed me all the crap they got out - amazing Ford let it go. This is the main worry as if you dont flush the radiator of crap your head gasket may go.

Besides that they are great cars. You should beat your mate easy. Go ahead embarrass him.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 05:12   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, my family (grandparents, cousins and mine) have been into falcons for a long time and they've lasted. The 1 my mum owned before she got this 1 was a XF S pack. at 300,000ks it "died" for the first time (bent pushrods), but that was easily fixed. My mum's bit of a hoon...she likes burning off/racing other ppl she drives pretty hard sumtimes...u can tell when it goes in for a service..new brakes (rotors and calipers) are required far mroe often than they should be.
I will NEVER take the thing to its rev limmiter.
Oh by the way...i'm still on my L's...any hits with driving would also be good

Thanks
DM
Old 04-08-2003, 08:10   #4 (permalink)

Nah, the car will easily take getting floored once in a while. My EF's lasted almost 3 years going to redline more than once a week on average and it's still going (I hope). Go ahead and dust him, prolly won't even need 4000rpm :)
Cancerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 00:42   #5 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

One tip seeing as you are on your L's.

Take it easy in the wet. Seriously. These bastards will snap you round so quickly it is not funny. I have shit tyres which are to be replaced soon so I really have to take it easy. (It will spin its wheels about 150M in the wet from a rolling start) My car (EF II Ghia with Tickford gear and LSD) breaks traction really easily and is bog stock. Don't try to hoon around corners in the wet (or too hard in the dry) as before you know it you will have to apply opposite lock and you will be in the shite. Not worth it mate. Cruise around on your P's gaining experience and only try some sideways action either in an abandoned car park or a track day.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 05:49   #6 (permalink)
Hanging Around

madmelon,

go show him whos boss, wagon or not :)

Quote:
I will NEVER take the thing to its rev limmiter.
Yeah, i bet...

You can safely wind it out to the limiter, thats what its there for...
I drive similar to cancer man, but its more like 2 -3 times per hour that mine sees the red, and soon as you hit the limiter, drop it into the next gear. You should be able to pull a hundred and a bit more in second - second gear is where you will get him...

I agree with the wet weather driving too.... im running 235's and on the odd occasion have picked up 3rd (speedo over 130) and only physically moving at walking pace......

If you stab it off the line and are steering straight, you can pretty much bet that the left rear wheel will overtake you, followed by the right rear soon afterwards, and before you know it, you will be facing the wrong way

Suppose thats the fun you get with an i6 :)

Have fun, but not where you can put other peoples lives in danger...

9psi EB
Old 04-11-2003, 11:12   #7 (permalink)

Nah, I find generally taking off straight in a 1 legger, the wheels will spin but the car will point straight. It's a different question round a corner though, and with the open diff u'll b fishtailing all the way up the road afterwards. In the dry, u prolly won't spin unless u got crap tyres anyway.

Btw, what does a 9psi EB run down the quarter?
Cancerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 19:17   #8 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Canerman,

I cant tell you 1/4 times, as i havnt had it down the morotplex at all, the last run i did was at ravenswood when it was still going, i ran with a blown head gasket and it cost me a diff, IIRC the time was a high 15 back then.

I have since rebuilt the motor, and redone all the induction.

I havent even had it on the dyno..... I just drive it around pretty much daily
I will get it dynoed and give it a few runs down at the motorplex when i finish a few things - rebuilt auto, hi-stall and EL EEC.

When its all done, we'll have to organise a wed night for all of the perthies to head down to kwinana for a bit of fun....

Regards
9psi EB
Old 04-25-2003, 06:53   #9 (permalink)

It appears that my cooling system got flushed (inc radiator)at the 50k service..and all for a cost of $50...This was necessary as a new watert pump was put on (old 1 was cracked n leaking). Thank god it didn't cost the $200 suggested!
Now i'm just waiting on my P's....got 49 hrs.... :D
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons