EL Ghia Insurance - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2002, 04:42   #1 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

Question EL Ghia Insurance

I have rang a few places up to get some prices for EL Fairmint Ghia's. Most of the quotes haven't been that bad, about $1400 for a 19 year old, rating 3 driver, which is only about $150 more than my XF would cost. But as soon as I say the word 'exhaust', they straight away tell me that they won't cover me. I asked a guy at AAMI why this is, and he sidestepped the issue completley, so I kept asking why me adding 7 bhp to a car will instantly make it a deathtrap? Then I asked about lowering and bigger mags/tyres, and he didn't really like that idea either.

I don't want to drive a stock car (YUCK!!) and I don't want to be refused insurance if I stove into the back of a BMW or something like that because I have a set of extractors.

Does everyone insure their modified cars as stock, or have they found a company that has found an understanding company??
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2002, 04:47   #2 (permalink)
removed as previously discussed!

aami wont allow any modifications to a falcon if your under 25.
nrma does me fine, wheels, suspension, alarm, tint, towbar, stereo, exhaust.. $1100! .. age 21
xr kit too
Old 12-23-2002, 06:30   #3 (permalink)

Try Ford Insure, all my mods listed in sig are covered.
Cost $700pa and im 21.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 14:19   #4 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Fan

im with Just Cars Insurance at the moment. $719 a year full comp with suspension, exhaust, wheels. The only problem is its named driver only policy, so no1 but me can drive the car (apart from my dad as he is the other named driver). im 22 Rating 1

'69 XW Fairmont GS (GT Replica), Reef Green 351c 2V (not for long ), Top Loader, 9" with 3.55's,
RedEF6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 20:29   #5 (permalink)
EB wagon

Dunno about the rest of the states but here in QLD RACQ allows up to 3inch exhausts and whateva the legal lowerin limit is.. I dont have comprahensive (If i smash my car, its my own fault) but i pay $250pa for 3rd party liability and fire plus theft. Which will cover me against repairs to any BMW :) Im not too worried about damage to my car as EB repairs are fairly cheap to do yerself..

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 01:47   #6 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

I'm 25 and am fully comprehensively insured for an EB 5ltr for the last 2 years. I think I'm a rating 2 possibly 1 but I'm only paying $555 pa. I have lowered the car to legal limits with an alarm, 2 1/2" exhaust and the such and ahve no problems. I'm with SGIC in Adelaide and they have been great with claims I had to make in the past when it wasn't my fault! Even if it was, I don't think I would have any problems.
I reccomend doin your homework on the matter and seeing whats out there.
Perhaps you may have to wait a while befor making mods.

Just my 2c

Regards
blueoval
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:07   #7 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

I'm insured with SGIC and I can do anything I want to my car (so long as it's legal) for $714 per year (I'm rating 3 I'm 21 and it's an EB but they said it's the same for any 90's model falcon)
Old 12-27-2002, 08:31   #8 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

Cheers for the replies everyone. I'm going to make a real effort and call every place in the phone book after the hols. It's good to see that other people in a similar sort of age bracket can actually have mods insured. I would have to go comprehensive tho.
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Old 12-28-2002, 14:50   #9 (permalink)

Wow....my last insurance bill was around $300 (age 31 at rating 1), for a smaller but similarly valued car to say a 90-92 Falcon.

Unfortunately for you younger guys ;o) , insurance companies tend to work of past statistics to manage their risk. Someone at 21 years or under who makes performance enhancements to their vehicle?...Well, no offence to any here, but if I was an insurance company I'd probably want out of that particular market myself - so hence your prices are higher. The insurer's statistics will probably show that this class of driver is a much higher risk than say, a 51 yo male who drives a stock standard Ford Fairmont.

'But I'm a good driver!! I won't have an accident!', I hear you say. How often do you hear somebody profess that they are a bad driver and might need to claim on their insurance? Indeed, I remember being quite proud of my driving skills, until I totalled my first car (must have been oil on the road or something ;o).

Cheers!
Damien
damienpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 04:31   #10 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

I know, I do understand that, if I were an insurance company, I wouldn't insure a 19yo with a worked EL Ghia.

BUT.... I AM a good driver, I'm the best, I won't crash ;-)
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons