Ford Forums banner

EL series II - the mystery remains

5K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  XR6child 
#1 ·
OK once and for all - does anyone know if an EL series II exists? I have never heard of it despite years of research on local cars - yet I often hear references to it.

There may have been an EL update in the same vein as the '99 AU update which gained power front windows, lower rear suspension but little else. Anyone?

#2 ·
Howdy

Finally someone believes me!?

I sware there were proposal for a EL II bouncing around somewhere. Weather these EL's were test mules for the AU (most probably were) or were a stopgap incase if the AU was not peachy will probably remain a "unsolved mystery" as Robert Stack fellow says. That and the rumour that Ford build a XD GTHO with 550hp but never saw the light of day :(

Anyone else got any other juicy rumours of the Fords that never were?

#5 ·
Yep I vaguely remember the Sapphire II. At the time, the EL Falcon was struggling in vain against the VT Commodore, and waiting to the AU to come and 'save the day' (or so we thought). But this was merely the second coming of the limited edition Sapphire, not something related to the supposed EL II.

From what I'm gathering, the EL II may have been the unofficial name for the last ELs, possibly with AU-spec motors.

#7 ·
there definately was a series II EL

i think there are even a few guys on this forums that own them! Mr Sparkle for one owns a series II EL XR8

#9 ·
Hmmm....

Yeah, Oxford Green and Cardinal Red were AU colours.

Sundeep

#13 ·
urs is regency el didnt get cardinal ef's and eb's did

#15 ·
My mate owns a 98 EL Futura which is Regency Red.

#16 ·
You thread-mining fool Yagz :sb: make it out that I don't know about the EL series II (which by the way does NOT exist by any stretch :angel:). By the way my EL wagon was a Sapphire II.

There is a big difference between a series II and an update. Take the AU for instance. There was an 'update' in '99 bringing front electric windows and lower suspension, and there was an 'update' for the Series II where the XR8 lost a few features but upped its power from 200 to 220 kW. If we keep mistaking updates for Series IIs, that would make the AU III an AU series 5!

So there. :p

#17 ·
WOW, Yagz has an EL II?

SINCE WHEN?!?!?!?!

#18 ·
psycho chicken said:
WOW, Yagz has an EL II?

SINCE WHEN?!?!?!?!
This sums it up rob :)

#21 ·
el/nl update series 2 what ever exist and must use AU heads if not AU engine as i have an NL with an AU head, as the AU cam etc got put in today im certain;)

#22 ·
DansEdgli said:
The next heathcote will be a treat. At least the TQE's will be able to afford fuel to get there without a near 20 grand debt.
You mean 40 grand debt ;)

#24 ·
Maybe if he told everyone when he got a car we'd know!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.