EL2 XR8 or AU1 XR8? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2003, 23:48   #1 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

EL2 XR8 or AU1 XR8?

Either one of these would do me just great. I want one with prefferably the bodykit and a sunroof. AU1 XR8s in black with the bodykit look really good i rekcon. I'd just put the clear rear indicator lenses as the ronage make it look old and crap. Manual would also be mandatory.

So i Have a few questions:
How much more are AU XR8s fetching considering that theres really only two-three years difference max between the EL2 and AU1.

Which one was Quicker? They both had the 185kw V8.

The AU XR8 had the double wishbone IRS standard didn't it? That would make it substantially heavier?

Does anyone have a picture of the interior of the AU XR8? I dont like that grey thing on the dash that the headunit and A/C controls sit in. I know that sounds stupid but I can't think of the name. AUII/III they changed the colour to black. I dont like the look of the seat material either but id probably put leather in.

I cant find my NFS4 otherwise I would have pictures of the insde.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language

Last edited by Cobra; 09-17-2003 at 01:33.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2003, 01:14   #2 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Re: EL2 XR8 or AU1 XR8?

I couldn't choose one between them they both look good,the AU has IRS where as the EL dosn't performance wise there wouldn't be all that much between them,probably would favour the EL because of weight,price wise there is stuff all between them,If it were me I would snatch up which ever good model came up 1st,good luck.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 01:29   #3 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Well I had organised to look at Mr SParkles EL2 XR8 while im in NSW but infortunately things didnt work out and I didnt get to see the car.

I'll keep looking though. And as I've stated before I'm not in any great rush.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Old 09-17-2003, 02:06   #4 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

I would choose th AU.
The EL is a very good car, however the AU is a little more refined overall.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 02:18   #5 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Yeah of course the new model would be more refined. With the IRS you'll get better handling, but as its added weight, as well as Live axle better for launching, i would presume the EL would be slightly quicker in a striaght line.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)

Old 09-17-2003, 03:52   #6 (permalink)

I have both at the moment so i can do a resonably good comparo, well i don't really as it an AU111 not an AU1 but anyway these are some thoughts.

EL good points

Seats are far better than the AU and for that matter just about any falcon or xr before FPV.

The car feels alot smaller in size to drive compared to the AU and is easy to throw around. Having the live rear end it tends to step out when cornering fast but is easy to catch and correct, heaps of fun.

Interior/exterior, i think it's one of the best xr shape/designs tickford released. 784 EL2 were built.

Not so good points

ordinary taxi cab brakes, bone jarring suspension that will rattle your teeth out, i'm forever thinking that a door is'nt shut properly,so the door seals aren't the best. Reving the engine past 4500rpm is a waste of time. Turn in oversteer is shocking at high speeds over 100kph. Definately needs two hands and progressive steering input.
Other than that it is a great car and all these things can be rectified with mods.

The AU i have is a TE50 so there are heaps of substantial improvments and refinements over the EL2XR8.

I can notice the extra weight in the AU and the car feels alot larger to drive. Having the irs means the rear stays planted and although thats a good safe attribute it does take some of the fun out of it. But i still enjoy driving the EL every now and then and will sorely miss it when it's gone.

Between a EL2 and a AU1 i think i would go with the EL. Only because i personally don't like purchasing the series 1 of a new model hence me buying an AU111.

Matt.

Last edited by Noddy; 09-17-2003 at 04:16.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 04:12   #7 (permalink)
FF Moderator

I had an AU1 XR8 and it was a fantastic car. With only relatively minor mods, (exhaust, chip, injectors) we achieved almost 190 rwkw at the treads, however in standard form for some reason this car produced around 160rwkw. Some of them did apparently??!

I lowered this thing, placed 265 rubber on those beautiful 17" Tickfordís wheels, added clear indicator lenses, full bodykit, color coded mirrors, removed stripe and yet........It still didn't look as good, as wide, as sleek and mean looking as a EL XR8 with similar attention. Go the EL. It can go as fast, and is the best of that shape.
Long term I think it will also hold better resale than the AU.

Cheers,

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:21   #8 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Thanks alot guys. Well I have abit of experience with EL's as I own an EL XR6 myself. I have put superlows on, it handles better and I love the rock hard suspension. Brakes could have a bit more beef but otherwise they are ok.

My only real gripe is the Manual. I only like driving manuals, but the throw is so long, and its very easy to miss gears especially going from 2-3. I beleive theres a fix by putting a short throw shifter. Is the AU manuals like this?

CDAA, A few questions for you buddy.
How did you get 265 rubber on 8" wheels which OEM tyres are 235?
Did you add the bodykit or it came with it? If you added the bodykit how much did it cost and where did you get it from?

If I got an EL XR8 I would swap my wheels over which are EL GT mockups. If I got the AU XR8 I would whack on some BA GT-P rims.

As stated before I am in no great rush, so I will keep looking around. The longer I wait the cheaper they will get. But that will subsequently mean that I will get less for mine. Guess it works both ways.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)

Old 09-17-2003, 15:18   #9 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Cobra -
If you currently own an EL XR6, don't bother with an EL XR8, you'll be sorely dissapointed.
The XR6 is a better car IMO.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 15:42   #10 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Re: Re: EL2 XR8 or AU1 XR8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxx
Cobra -
If you currently own an EL XR6, don't bother with an EL XR8, you'll be sorely dissapointed.
The XR6 is a better car IMO.

Rick.
That depends what he's hoping to do with it. Stock as a rock they're both pretty ordinairy by todays standards and would have similiar performance. Manual EL2 XR8's are also extremely hard to find, but I think it'd be worth it as a much better base for a hot motor than an XR6. If he's not interested in major mods than yeah, he might aswell just keep what he's got.
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons