engine, or new car?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2003, 19:08   #1 (permalink)
WeReAmEyE

engine, or new car??

Hi all, i have an EA cfi.. its gota blown head gasket, and sterin rack is leakin.. wat other problems could go wrong.. ive done a sh#t load to it.

wat my thoughts were to fix head gasket and sell the car, by either N15 pulsar, or EL falcon.

My other thought was to buy a AU motor, stage 2 crow cam... I can get hold of a stock motor with computer intake manifold wireing loom... every thing, unsure bout feul pump, forgot to ask... all this for around $1500... I think the motor conversion is the way to go as i love how this car drives, and the mods i've already done to the interior..

Wat are u thoughts?
FAT FALCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2003, 19:38   #2 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Re: engine, or new car??

If u got the cash and time, the engine swap sounds tempting. Might have a bit of farting around but.

Weigh up what u have spent, wha u will have to spend, and take it from there. (incl. insurance, other problems)

Also look at what u will loose on sale.
I spent a heap on my EA Ghia, then sold it at a huge loss.
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 19:41   #3 (permalink)
Village Idiot

hmm my post wasnt much help.
Might give ya some stuff to think about but. :)
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 19:43   #4 (permalink)
WeReAmEyE

Wel, i've lowered it, jus put tyres. water pump, zorst, feul pump, need's 2 be changed with new motor neway! all new radiator and heater hoses, dont need most of them tho?? I'd love to put the AU with a cam in it.. really like my car.... I have no idea, gota contact insurance company..

has neone out an AU motor in? wat's the dificulties? wat bout cross member?
FAT FALCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 19:57   #5 (permalink)
w w w .eafalcon. c o m

mongrelEB has an AU motor in his EB, he did it himself though with the help of a mate.
Old 09-03-2003, 20:06   #6 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

If you really like your car still, then putting an AU motor in would be the way to go, IMO.

It would be around $10k for an EL, after eveything has been paid for/minor problems fixed. N15 pulsars are a lot more than this. For 10k, you would have one of the best EA's around. For 5k you will have a really nice one, that will drag most other cars off. Although the money you will lose is a problem, but it's rare you make your money back from a car, unless you're buying collectable cars.
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 03:08   #7 (permalink)
Ford Nut

mate,
as an early model ea owner i say, if you can afford to get a ef or el, get one. dont bother doin up the old ea. you could spend 10k on it but u would still get **** all for it on trade in or resale. its an old car and cars dont last forever these days although most of us wish they did.

do what im doin, buy an el, faster, safer, handles better, more comfortable, looks much better, and has way less problems.

nath
Old 09-04-2003, 03:33   #8 (permalink)
EA....Extra Attitude!!!

my thoughts are that i would rather spend $10k on an "old" ea than spend the same money to get a standard/average EL/EF. apart from that, the only diff between an EA and an EL/EF is that the Ea is lighter so that the power/weight ratio is better.Stick with the EA and wack in the new donk. $10k spent hotting/doing up any Ea is far better than a standard or near to standard EL/EF any day, but thats a biased opinion from a person who loves his EA.
eagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 04:06   #9 (permalink)

hey

my ea wagon is a smelly arse chariot and i love it ..

often think ive lost my mind keeping it , cos the prices of new stuff keep on coming down , El.s and Ef,s going out the door at lower than low prices , AU,s and Au II going for dead set songs ,, but who wants to chuck more cashola after a new purcahse ,, cos there going to need somthing , some where. its a hard too now whats going to happen next,,,, oh found my beer...buuurrrrrrrrrrrrp.
slothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 04:14   #10 (permalink)

My only advice is that if you're going to get an N15, make sure it's a SSS. Even in NA form, those SR20's pull hard for a 2 litre. Having said that, a worked AU motor in an EA would go even better.

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons