Ford Forums banner

Engine Oil - BA XR8

19K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  fullthrottle 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I know this topic has been discussed several times before, however after browsing through the old threads I couldn't find the information I'm after.

It's nearly time for me to do my oil change. The manual specifies 10-30W but what does everyone use?

Ford use Castrol R which I think is 0-40W (same as the Mobil 1). I just went on the Castrol site and found that they have a 5-30W...that is the closest match to 10-30W that I could find from Castrol.

BP has a 10-30W GF-2
Mobile 1 has a 10-30W GF-3

The Penrite site recommends HPR5 which is a 5-40W.

My previous oil change at 3000kms I put in Shell Helix Ultra which is rated at 15-50W. I really want to keep it within spec this time round to see if there is any performance difference.

Has anyone tried any of the above?

PS. From what I've read...most ppl on here use Shell Helix Ultra(15-50W) and Mobile 1 (0-40W).... why go higher than 10-30W?

TIA

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
That was a very good read. Best...well only full comparison I have read on oils. They say the AMSOIL is the winner.. they are though heavily sponsored by that same brand on there home page. The most impressive thing in the test though was the 10hp gain the 0-40 Mobil 1 gave :wnc: . I think that will be my choice.

#5 ·
remember there are 2 types of Mobil 1 now.
one starts with a 0W THE OTHER 5W THE 0W is much dearer...$65 vs $90 approx.....for 5 litres...

#7 ·
Has anyone tried MOTUL? It is in the same price range as the Mobils, Castrols and Penzoils... but the dude at Autobarn said it is a better oil than the ones I just mentioned.

You guys seen the new 10w-30 Mobile 1 synthetic? 85 bucks for 5 Litres :AAHHH:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.