Engineers Report on Wheels (Coupe owners) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2004, 07:16   #1 (permalink)

Engineers Report on Wheels (Coupe owners)

I'm getting the wheels on my car engineered once i get it back from the respray and put everything back together ... Anyone gotten wheels engineered before .. or know anyone who has done the same?

Running 17x8 and 17x10s on a XB coupe.

I have asked this before ... just wondering if anyone has actually done it.

1973 XB Coupe Fairmont 302, koni shocks, lovell super low fronts, extra leaf and reset leaf spings, dual exhaust, advance headers. Resprayed Vivid Blue Pearl. 17x8 & 17x10 inch FR Simmons.
EB2Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2004, 14:56   #2 (permalink)

Re: Engineers Report on Wheels (Coupe owners)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2Ghia
I'm getting the wheels on my car engineered once i get it back from the respray and put everything back together ... Anyone gotten wheels engineered before .. or know anyone who has done the same?

Running 17x8 and 17x10s on a XB coupe.

I have asked this before ... just wondering if anyone has actually done it.
This is a tougher question to answer than you may think. First, tires that carry the same advertized size are not always the same "as delivered" size. Second, old cars are not symmetrical. You may find 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 or even 1" difference in wheel well width between the left and right sides of the car. As a general rule of thumb, you'll need 5.5" backspacing on 10" wide wheels and you will need between 4" & 4.5" backspacing on the 8" wide wheels. You really need to take your car to the tire shop and have the tires you want, fitted to the car. Only then, will you know for sure what wheel width and backspacing you will need. With proper fitting, you can get 255/40-17's up front and up to 335/30-18's on the back.

--J
XAFALCONGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 15:48   #3 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

You might find that the engineer will want Full floating hubs on the back for that width. There was a similar question in Streetmachine reasonably recently...
Unfortunately I don't know anymore than that!

Ben
GammaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 15:58   #4 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Xafalcongs, the question is in relation to getting the wheels legally approved as they are wider than what you are allowed to use normally, rather than a problem of physical fitment.

Eb2ghia, I know it is possible without much drama but am not sure on the detail of what would be required.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 19:53   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Xafalcongs, the question is in relation to getting the wheels legally approved as they are wider than what you are allowed to use normally, rather than a problem of physical fitment.

Eb2ghia, I know it is possible without much drama but am not sure on the detail of what would be required.
Uumm, noticed that after I posted. We don't have that problem up here. Most States only require that the wheels do not protrude from the factory wheel wells. These States require that flairs be fitted to 4X4 trucks to pass State safety inspections.

--J
XAFALCONGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 22:50   #6 (permalink)

Well there is bucketloads of room front and back I'm running 17x8 245 45's and 17x10 275 40's. Clearance isnt an issue especially at the back. I will just have to see how i go.

1973 XB Coupe Fairmont 302, koni shocks, lovell super low fronts, extra leaf and reset leaf spings, dual exhaust, advance headers. Resprayed Vivid Blue Pearl. 17x8 & 17x10 inch FR Simmons.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:52   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

The issue is how much load the rim/offset puts on the axle and bearing. An engineer will test it easily enough. I know a bloke who couldn't get his torana past due to the rims. Engineer wouldn't even pass them. Too much bearing load he said.

Brenden
Old 08-10-2004, 06:01   #8 (permalink)

yeah thats what i want to hear about brenx ... well how does the load on the bearings get tested?? and do you know how the problem would be solved?

Old 08-10-2004, 06:09   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

it was something to do with the offset. The centre of the rim needed to be in the middle from memory. The owner thought f**k that! As they were billet rims and cost about $8000 with tyres. This was about 5 years ago. The owner was really annoyed as he was trying to roadworthy the car. He ended up putting stock rims on then changing them back to the billets after the roady. As the fix was to buy new rear rims with the hub of the rim centred to minimise load on the wheel bearing.

[edit]I am not sure how exactly the engineer tested it. I just got to hear the bitch sessions about the engineer. There was a few four to five letter words stated.

Brenden
Old 08-10-2004, 06:47   #10 (permalink)

Well hopefully i will have some luck. It's my uncles mate so i should be right. My offset is 4inch outer 6inch inner ... (they were 8's but changed the outers to make them 10's) and they are simmons FR's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons