Euro III emission limits and the Bara182 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2005, 15:16   #1 (permalink)

Euro III emission limits and the Bara182

In the original BA press release it mentioned that:

"Exhaust gas recirculation is a new and important feature of the I6 engine. It helps reduce the amount of unburned hydrocarbons leaving the tailpipe, and helps the Barra Falcon I6 engine meet stringent Euro II emission limits well ahead of their implementation in Australia."

I read recently that the Bara182 (and Holden Gen3) will now need to meet more stringent Euro III emissions standards by January 1, 2006.

Anyone know what changes will happen? Will we see a drop on power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2005, 16:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: Euro III emission limits and the Bara182

All of the old Faclon 6s had EGR form XC on. Not sure when they dropped it, for EFi maybe?
Old 02-17-2005, 17:45   #3 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

I wouldn't expect them to drop power (surely we're past that era) but it will certainly limit what they otherwise would have achieved - a smaller (or no) increase.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 19:33   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
I wouldn't expect them to drop power (surely we're past that era) but it will certainly limit what they otherwise would have achieved - a smaller (or no) increase.
I wouldn't worry, infact I predict the I6 numbers will look better then Alloytec195 come BA replacement.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 20:06   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

Guys,

I wouldn't worry about the barra 182. It hasn't been mapped for independent operation of the VCT, as both exhaust and inlet cams advance and retard the same amount. The can vary the amount of overlap, but haven't yet, which leads to better economy, power and emissions.

Of greater concern is GenIV and getting more from the BOSS. We know it can do it, maybe a nice set of rods and a forged crank so the bugger can rev reliably and then we'll see a good motor.

David
EB2Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 23:12   #6 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Its getting a decent upgrade soon so Euro 3 won't be a problem as it was factored into the development work done for Copperhead. Power and fuel economy should improve as well.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 17:01   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossxr8
Its getting a decent upgrade soon so Euro 3 won't be a problem as it was factored into the development work done for Copperhead. Power and fuel economy should improve as well.
Does 200/400 for the I6 seem likely....?
Old 02-19-2005, 23:47   #8 (permalink)

You know what would improve emissions (amount of, not composition)- trimming the BA's fat *rse. Surely there is some weight saving to be had somewhere along the line. Ofcourse a revised engine with better power/torque would be good too, but there would be more advantage to be had by reducing weight- less tyre/brake wear, better handling, better performance and less $ out the exhaust.
Personally i'm hoping for both...but I can't see the weight thing happening.

As for 200/400- have a look what other 4L engines make (and how much they cost...). The Falcon 6 is a long way from its potential, both power/torque and emissions, but its all down to cost.
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:44   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
You know what would improve emissions (amount of, not composition)- trimming the BA's fat *rse. Surely there is some weight saving to be had somewhere along the line.
I don't know how emission levels are tested, ie. is it an engine on a test bed or a car on a dyno as the latter would be influenced by the car's weight and the former would not.
Old 02-20-2005, 21:19   #10 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Curls neither would be as the car is not actually moving on a dyno. The emissions levels are % levels of what comes out the exhaust, although there is also a move towards the system they have in the UK where the grams CO2 per km is rated as well – which comes from both fuel efficiency and emissions levels.

Madmelon – don’t forget that BMW etc engines are tuned for higher octane fuel and as such run higher compression ratios which directly impacts torque and power output, as does the peak engine speed. 380Nm on a relatively low CR is not bad - always room for improvement though.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons