Ex-Police El Falcon Questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2004, 21:24   #1 (permalink)

Ex-Police El Falcon Questions

Hello

After having being brought up in with falcons all around me, I just placed a deposit on my first car on Sunday and have a few questions about it. The car is an ex-QLD police 12/96 EL Falcon Gli Sedan, painted in Bermuda Green. The car's has been driven by an elderley man since being bought at the gov't auctions, it is in immaculate condition, has 132 K on it and has a full service history, new exhuast, battery and tyres. I was able to convince him to let it go for $7300.

The main question i've got is what extra features does it have over a base GLI ? The compliance plate stated that it had an Option 18 fitted. I did notice it had silver painted rims under the hubcaps and the speedometer was calibrated every 2kmh. Furthermore on the test drive the brakes seemed to have more bite than than EF wagon that I've driven.

The other question i've got is, how difficult is it to install a decent stereo unit in the falcon, the speaker setup seems fine, but the head unit was rather basic.

It is definately a nice car and certainly has more power than the TF 3.0L V6 Magna i've been driving. Now the only problem is surving the taunts and idiotic comments from most of my friends who think Holdens rule the world.
Red_Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2004, 21:48   #2 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Re: Ex-Police El Falcon Questions

sounds like a pretty good purchase. do a search as not long ago there was a thread on EL ex police cars. this was in the E series discussion to narrow it down a little. as for you friends they will only tuant you coz they are jealous that they themselves dont have real cars. aftermarket head units can be fitted and if you go to www.lightningaudio.com and search around there you will find a modual that will allow you to use the steering wheel controls for the steroe that you buy, if you have the wheel controls. im sure others will be able to help you further.
dave.
Old 06-28-2004, 22:09   #3 (permalink)

the differences i know of were the speedo being 2km/h incriments and was able to be calibrated to allow diff and wheel size changes. And I think the diff was also a LSD item, which was not standard.
ef-ficiency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 22:35   #4 (permalink)
Teh Official Know Nothing

I always thought that ex-Cop Falcons has better tuned suspension as well.

Things coming soon: CD Player, Bumper Change, MPFI Conversion
Things on my Wishlist: Mags, Body Kit, etc, etc.
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 22:57   #5 (permalink)
.au member

Police pack got:

Different dash (2km increments, as well as oil and battery gauges as well i think?)
A bit stiffer suspension, but nothing to be too thrilled about
No speed limiter due to XR spec tailshaft (so you can do over 180 but on stock 15x7's it aint a good a idea!)
Old 06-28-2004, 23:29   #6 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

I had a Vic one, that had the XR dash, LSD, ABS and alot of Futura bits inside ie clock, twin airbags, extra lights, handles in the roof in the back, oh and lots of extra holes under the bonnet, inside the console and in the boot. I'm told the ones in the boot held a shelf where they stowed their bullet proof vests.
RAPID BA MKII GT WITH BLACK STRIPES
GT BLOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 01:00   #7 (permalink)
.au member

The handles in the back above the doors are standard on every model, ABS is optional on GLi and standard on Futura, twin airbags were an option on everything below Fairmont Ghia (standard in them) from EFII onwards, and I think there may even be a switch that will cut out all the lights in the cabin - i know some exchasers have them.

Maybe the extra holes are what Homer Simpson refers to as 'speed holes'?
Old 06-29-2004, 01:19   #8 (permalink)

I've still got the flashing light module under my parcel shelf, and there is also a switch on my dash that I havent worked out what it does yet.
cogo_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 01:54   #9 (permalink)

I might give Ford a call and see if they can shed any light on the option 18 pack. The car is an unmarked car and has no light switches or anything like that, but it does have two small holes on the passanger side panel of the centre console, near the ashtray, maybe for a radio. It does have extra interior lighting and ABS aswell.

Not sure on the LSD though, is there any way of seeing if it is an LSD, without smoking the back tyres.

As for testing the speed limiter, i might wait until i go to the Northern Territory
Red_Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:19   #10 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

It should have

2kmh speedo (adjustable)
LSD
Tickford Suspension
A great steel bash plate under the sump (i know the NSW ones do)

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons