extra tank? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2003, 12:34   #1 (permalink)
a.k.a Superoo on IRC

Question extra tank?

I got me van and ive come to a problem the fuel tank is only 12 gallons the smallest on offer on the xw and xy's where 16.4 so my tank is rather pidley has any heard of pople puttin a sedan tank where the spare tyre carrier is its the same as on the utes can any one help thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2003, 01:39   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

Re: extra tank?

Not sure about the vans and utes, but i know that the sedans are different to wagons.
AndrewsXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 23:33   #3 (permalink)
Nothing beats a V8

i just bought a second hand 74L tank for $50 from a wreckers near my house
Old 10-15-2003, 03:02   #4 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

I was planning about doing some tripping in my ute, and contemplated the same thing. This is what I thought of doing:

The tank is under the floor in the tray/rear of the van, same as the ute (behind the passenger seat).
I thought about getting a spare ute/pvan tank and associated brackets, and getting that set up on the opposite side of the tranny hump. Then get a custom made balance pipe between the two (by a professional competent at welding fuel tanks). Then feed both tanks to the one fuel line using a y piece, so you are constantly using fuel out of both tanks. You could then use the original fuel guage and filling point.

That would give you 24 gallons of fuel....

I'd prefer to keep the original spare mounting point underneath. Beats having a wheel in the back!
Old 10-15-2003, 05:26   #5 (permalink)

Ive done that on the XT ute, I had a second filler put in the drivers side (with the filler mount from a wreck welded into the panel) I had to get the filler neck put on the other side of the tank at the top and cut the inner guard and cover it with another cover from a donor vehicle.
I used an electric changeover switch purchased from an offroad shop to select which tank I draw fuel from and wired the fuel guage sender to another set of contacts on the changeover switch so that the fuel guage read the fuel level from the tank in use.
Any competent welding shop can do the welding on the tanks, just dont attempt it yourself without filling it with water or gassing it to stop it exploding.
Regds,
Tote

Cool van by the way. Theres not many of them left. Best of luck restoring it. If you need any bits that will fit in a post pack ask me I might just have them. Ive got a shed full of XT bits. Pity WA is such a long way from the east coast.

Last edited by Tote; 10-15-2003 at 05:31.
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 22:49   #6 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Other options, assuming the section under the tray has not changed from XR through to XD raid an Outback ute at a wreckers, or also you can get aftermarket long range tanks for XD-H utes that sit on the RHS under the tray as well.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 20:14   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Other options, assuming the section under the tray has not changed from XR through to XD raid an Outback ute at a wreckers, or also you can get aftermarket long range tanks for XD-H utes that sit on the RHS under the tray as well.
Do you know any wreckers that have outback utes???
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 04:54   #8 (permalink)
a.k.a Superoo on IRC

haha this is all good stuff thanks heaps guys any more suggestions are welcome i am thinking on the 2nd tank option tho with a fuel pump into the main tank rather than stuffing around with the original lines etc 2nd tank would be like a electric jerry cann hehe any ways thanks heaps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons