Extream CAI - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2005, 02:39   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up Extream CAI

I am starting a new project this weekend and I would like to get you thoughts and input about some ideas I have... Ok I am going to Make my own CAI box It will be similar to the G&D and XR8888's air box. I am planing to run 2 K&N air pods in the box if they will fit. The air box will look very similar to XR8888's but Will be a little bigger and will have insulation in the inside (the insulation is a rubber and has a foil like covering on the outside). I want to draw cold air from 3 places, 1. behind the headlight,2. AU XR8 snorkel attached to the side of the box and 3. a hole drilled out of the bottom with a bell mouth inserted.

My queries are... 1. Will 2 pod filters fit in that area or is the area to confined...
2. Is it possible to make a intake pipe that divides in 2 before the air box and still fit under the bonnet. what size pipe combos would best suit this mod eg. twin 2.5 into a 3.5inch or what ever.
3.should the intake pipe be mandrel bent or pressed bent or will it make no difference.
4. what material would be better to make the intake pipe out of ,Mild or stainless steel. I will be getting it powder coated as I want it to look like a factory job. this question relates to heat retention

Please offer you opinions, I am starting the templates this weekend and I want this to be ground breaking CAI for the BA.. And I am hoping to get 15+rwkw out of it...

Heres a photo of XR8888's air box so you have an idear of what I am doing.. I hope you dont mind XR8888..

I will Give it my absolute Best
Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cold air 5 (Small).jpg (49.9 KB, 227 views)
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2005, 02:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: Extream CAI

I have started making the templates and as you can see you it is a little bigger so I can accommodate thicker insulation without compromising on the inside square area of volume... The template still needs a bit more attention before it goes to the fabricators to get cut and folded and the custom intake also need to be made also to gage the holes...

News Flash.... Because of the size of the box, it has covered the A/C lines and now my ideas are starting to get out of control.. I remember years ago that dodge Chrysler were experimenting CAI by using A/C in the air box. Well guest what I and thinking of doing.. I am going to and A/C installer on Monday to see if it possible and viable and if it is a goer the C in CAI will stand for Chilled..

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 068 (Small).jpg (52.3 KB, 160 views)
Old 03-20-2005, 06:23   #3 (permalink)
walking power

Good to see people trying new things, i've said heaps of times i want to make my own aswell but i just dont have the time atm.
Old 03-20-2005, 18:35   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdennis1
Will 2 pod filters fit in that area or is the area to confined...
It'll be a tight fit with two pods and an air-con cooler (I assume) inside the airbox

Quote:
Is it possible to make an intake pipe that divides in 2 before the air box and still fit under the bonnet. What size pipe combos would best suit this mod eg. twin 2.5 into a 3.5inch or what ever.
anything can be done, for a price. If the intake to the throttle body is 3.5", there would be no need to go any bigger than that. If size is a problem in the airbox you could have 2x1.75" into 3.5" otherwise 2x2.5" into 3.5" should be OK

Quote:
should the intake pipe be mandrel bent or pressed bent or will it make no difference.
The mandrel bent pipes are smoother, so there is meant to be a less disturbed air flow through them

Quote:
what material would be better to make the intake pipe out of ,Mild or stainless steel. I will be getting it powder coated as I want it to look like a factory job. this question relates to heat retention
There are many different grades of mild steel and stainless steel - check this site Thermal Conductivity but it is summed up in the quote 'Typical 1010 carbon (mild) steel conducts 219% more heat per foot than do the types of stainless steel we use'

Quote:
Because of the size of the box, it has covered the A/C lines and now my ideas are starting to get out of control.. I remember years ago that dodge Chrysler were experimenting CAI by using A/C in the air box. Well guess what I am thinking of doing.. I am going to and A/C installer on Monday to see if it possible and viable and if it is a goer the C in CAI will stand for Chilled..
I assume it would be a radiator / intercooler inside the airbox......won't be too restrictive huh?

Good Luck, keep us posted

Panda
Old 03-20-2005, 19:02   #5 (permalink)
6 Speed Cruiser

Mate don't mind at all....good luck with the mods and I will be interested in the results.

As you can see I have the AUXR8 job as well but I saw a EB/EL (?) GT snorkel last week and it is bigger again so that might be an option.

What you can't see in my photo is the flex pipe going from behind the lower grill (aftermarket one) and up to behind the headlight assembly. The flex works well because you can bend it into shape if you want.

Cheers

Brad

Morpowa Custom Cold Air / Mal Wood Clutch / Underdrives / Dual 3" DiFillipo Exhaust / Xtreme/Bluepower Custom Tune
XR8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 00:53   #6 (permalink)

Thank's guys for the Info, It helps alot. I am aiming high on this project so I really want it to succeed. In my first thread I said I was hoping to get 15rwkw. Well that's the very least I am trying to achieve My real goal is 20rwkw I don't know if it is likely I will reach this figure but I will try Dam hard to get it....

As with the A/C cooler in the air box, I am yet to see a a/c installer as I was stuffed around at the sheet metal fabricators for a while and ran out of time... Anyhow I need some help to work out the amount of air the boss motor will consume at 6000rpm and it would help if the calculation was in CFM... This will guide me on the size of the filters I need..

In regards to the A/C cooler, It will only happen if 1. it will fit. 2. not overly expensive, 3. It must not restrict air flow, 4. And it must create more pony's then what it will use. and that the tricky part... So if anyone can help me on this section please do.

Matt
Old 03-21-2005, 00:56   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy
Good to see people trying new things, i've said heaps of times i want to make my own aswell but i just dont have the time atm.
Fordy If you are interested? when I have finished mine I will send you the templates of the air box...

Matt
Old 03-22-2005, 16:54   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
... Anyhow I need some help to work out the amount of air the boss motor will consume at 6000rpm and it would help if the calculation was in CFM...
The boss V8 has a capacity of 5.4 litres, that means that for every revolution it needs to ingest 5.4 litres of air (plus fuel which is insignificant for this calculation) I used this unit converter --> Unit Converter to find out that 5.4 litres = 0.190699 cubic feet

So, 0.190699 cubic feet of air / 1 revolution
= 1144.194 cubic feet of air / 6000 revolutions
= 1144.194 cubic feet of air per minute when at 6000 revolutions per minute
= (about) 1150 CFM @ 6000 rpm

Quote:
...In regards to the A/C cooler, It will only happen if 1. it will fit. 2. not overly expensive, 3. It must not restrict air flow, 4. And it must create more pony's then what it will use. and that the tricky part... So if anyone can help me on this section please do...
If you were to use a radiator / intercooler (eg - second thumbnail) it would be tough to fit, quite expensive and very restrictive. The pipe that runs down the passenger side under the bonnet is cold refrigerant on it's way to the air/con inside the car - what about running it around inside the airbox (eg, first thumbnail ..... excuse the dodgy drawing)

Panda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cold air 5 (Small).jpg (61.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg transmission_cooler.jpg (40.9 KB, 46 views)
Old 03-22-2005, 16:56   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Anyhow I need some help to work out the amount of air the boss motor will consume at 6000rpm and it would help if the calculation was in CFM...
I've also wondered how much air my Boss would consume at various revs.. here's my best effort at working it out..

At 6000rpm there will be 1500 air intakes per minute... (4 stroke engine).

if we assume a rounded off total engine capacity of 5400cc then each cylinder has a capacity of 675 cubic cms... (5400cc / 8 cylinders).

By theses calculations the total volume of air consumed per minute at 6000rpm = 1,012,500cc (1500 x 675cc) this equates to 35.76 cubic feet per minute..

Does this seem right.. let me know if I've gotten it all wrong.

Thanks

Steve
SteevO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 18:28   #10 (permalink)

Panda is close to the correct number. One thing thats been forgotten is that at 6000 rpm, air is sucked in by each cylinder once every two revolutions (4 strokes, as one stroke is 180 deg turn of the crank.)
5400*3000=16,200,000cc/minute.
1 cfm = 28,317ccm
16,200,000/28317 = 572cfm
Of course this is for an ideal situation- The actual figure would be considerably less (probably about 80% if that)
Inefficiency is the reason for this and the same reason that you probably won't benefit from trying to cool theincoming air with your aircon- its like trying to make a perpetual motion machine...impossible.
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons