Factory vs. Aftermarket Filter - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2004, 14:16   #1 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

Factory vs. Aftermarket Filter

Theres a good article on autospeed today, regarding factory filters, and how they are more than sufficient..

I don't want to plagiarise them, so I'll just summarise to say, the factory filter is more than capable of flowing the amount of air required, as well as filtering as well or better than any aftermarket filter (although K&N would have me believe otherwise). Furthermore, the bottleneck is, in almost all cases, in either the intake snorkel, the airbox itself, or the throttle-body. They found the pressure drop through the airbox to be almost identical with, or without the filter in place.

What this means is, if you wanna throw away money, either modify the airbox / intake snorkel, or go for a CAI setup with a pod filter (maybe a bonnet scoop would offer less of a bottleneck than a normal intake scoop).

I guess it's too late for me to get my money back on the K&N panel filter I got Maybe I'll put a bonnet scoop over the airbox..
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2004, 14:27   #2 (permalink)

Re: Factory vs. Aftermarket Filter

i had a guy show me 2 filters and the flow rate...

one a paper filter and a K&N... If you blocked the paper filter only a bit the flow dramatically dropped, and you could block the K&N filter 3/4 and it only started to slow the flow rate.

I think they had oiled the paper filter, as it had that look about it, and also to make the K&N look as though it flowed so much better.

Its always interesting to ready articles like that...

Do you still have the link.

I saw one last week about how good airboxes were, and i think they raved on about the EF airbox too...

94 ED Futura
PROUD TQE OPERATOR
13.822 @ 99.67MPH - Willowbank 05/08/2006
OED666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 15:11   #3 (permalink)
The Prince Of Darkness

you after scoop i got a set of scoops like the el xr ones but there been modify into actual scoop so that it directs air into the airbox
Spider_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 17:18   #4 (permalink)

I think that article is true, but I also think that's only the case for brand new ones. I think that the K&N will last a lot longer than a standard paper filter, and flow for a lot longer without blocking up. That's the real benefit.

But that's only my opinion. Could be wrong :)
Bertman EA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 17:29   #5 (permalink)

i'd prefer to know where the restrictions are if its not the filter.
obviously the t/b is up to the job... i'd say the snorkel would have to be the main restriction!
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 18:16   #6 (permalink)

i think its either the snorkel, or the airbox...

or not enough air getting to the snorkel...

I have looked at UNR8D's Fairlane, dammed if I know where it gets the air from???

94 ED Futura
PROUD TQE OPERATOR
13.822 @ 99.67MPH - Willowbank 05/08/2006
OED666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 19:30   #7 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

I think the restriction is the pipe going from T/B to airbox. Especially on the EL setup, it bubbles, ripples and bottle necks when it gets to the air box.
Old 08-04-2004, 20:38   #8 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

Umm, they tested both a new filter (factory one) and an ooold one which was caked with dirt.. The old one still flowed almost exactly the same amount of air..

If you want the best flow possible, go for those long ram-jet pipe things :) They look awesome sticking out the bonnet, and offer no restriction (actually, a small amount of "boost" as air is forced into them as it moves past the car at high speed)
Old 08-04-2004, 20:44   #9 (permalink)
Operation E-Series Hoon™

Juarez. The paper filters are changed at service. Some places are padantic and change them every 10,000km's.. The once off investment of a k and n filter, or bmc, just enables you to have one less component that you have to worry about..

They are definitely better for throttle response, and a better note, because they aren't a shitty paper substance. They are proven to flow better, and last longer. Look after them, and they'll last forever.

To say that you get a boost effect by having a ram jet pipe setup is a bit drastic. Sure you can get a small effect, but nothing that would put you in the back of your seat.. Just run a cold air intake with a good filter, and you'll be laughing..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagz
Stop putting stupid yagz quotes in your stupid signatures you stupid people!
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 20:45   #10 (permalink)
Operation E-Series Hoon™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangNicko
I think the restriction is the pipe going from T/B to airbox. Especially on the EL setup, it bubbles, ripples and bottle necks when it gets to the air box.
True, which is why getting a stainless steel pipe is the way to go.. The EL setup definitely is better than the EF though..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagz
Stop putting stupid yagz quotes in your stupid signatures you stupid people!
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons