Fairmont Ghia general questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2003, 07:05   #1 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Fairmont Ghia general questions

OK have driven the EF II Ghia for a few days now (bloody awesome!!) and have a few questions:

1. What level should my oil pressure gauge be sitting at. I noticed today it was sitting a the maximum level (Orange 7). Then 10mins later it was back at around the middle or standard operating level according to the manual. (hasnt sat at 7 since) A fault with the electrics or the actual oil pressure?

2. What is the best way of caring for the leather. I had a look at some products today and don't know what works best!? So many to choose from. Is there one particular brand that works best?

3. Is "economy" mode really worth having on? Does it make that much of a difference economy wise or is this a bit of a gimmick?

4. What do you people average fuel wise per 100kms. Mine says about 15 to 16. I have not reset it yet though since I have had it. (3 days).

5. Is the AU XR8 snorkel conversion worth my $25??

Thanks
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2003, 07:08   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I can answer question 3. The economy mode only affects fuel economy by altering shift points. At the end of the day, the right foot will determine performance and economy, but if you tend to drive a little harder than average in day-to-day driving, it might be better to leave it in power mode to avoid unnecessarily early shifting. I'd experiment with the 2 modes and make a choice.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 22:54   #3 (permalink)

Oil pressure

My EL Fairmont did the same thing with the pressure gauge, yeah, it is a wiring problem, on the earth side of the gauge. I went into absolute panic mode when it first happened, but a bit of cleaning up of the main dash plug cured it. (half a pain to get at, pulling most of the dash to bits) Watch that it doesnt affect any other dash components, I've been told if it affects the tacho, it can send the Engine Management Computer into "limp mode". Haven't experienced that first hand, but I was warned!

Cheers,
Carl
Carlsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 23:01   #4 (permalink)

Oh yeah, and mines only a 6, assuming you have a V8, I find oil pressure sits around 3bar at idle, about 5 at driving speed.

Economy... daily driving to and from work, out places etc. my trip comp shows between 11.2 - 11.6 l/100ks, all the time (but I'm a 40yo codger and rarely give the beast a flogging, goes like stink when I do though)
Old 02-15-2003, 00:29   #5 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

Sounds like you're pushing it a bit all the time, to get 15-16 L / 100Km.. putting it in economy will probably just add lots of unecessary gear changes, as Jack said. Recommended fuel usage is about 9L / 100k freeway driving, 12 L / 100k city driving, so you're a fair bit over.

Not sure how much flow the AU snorkel adds over the EF II, but for $25 it's not too much to find out :) You'll probably want to run a decent filter with that as well (K&N panel filter or something), to see the full benefit.
Old 02-15-2003, 19:44   #6 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Thanks for the advice.

Mine is not a V8 thank god. Fuel/Insurance is bad enough with the I6 let alone the V8. That wiring fault sounds like a pain in the arse as I can imagine what is involved in pulling that dash apart. For now it seems to be behaving itself. I think it comes and goes but luckily for me it mainly behaves itself. It is just maybe once a few days that is plays up.

I have had people tell me that the EF has faulty head bolts that can break but that mainly occurs between 90,000km and 150,000kms. Anything to be concerned about?

thanks
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 20:05   #7 (permalink)

I've heard that the head bolts are a common fault in EFs, ususally near No1 or 2 cylinder, but my EL let go at number 5 (bolt snapped) at 115,000k. Had a bit of a miss and sprayed coolant everywhere. Nice job to fix too NOT! Ford dealer thought it was weird too. Good luck with the Ghia, hopefully it won't let you down. Oh, and try rubber soled shoes instead of the lead ones, might bring the economy up to 11s or 12s

Carl
Old 02-16-2003, 02:03   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

i had a dodfy oil preasure sender unit that work normally sometimes, i had an aftermarket one fitted and tha mechanic used thread tape so it didnt earth properly so im going to my ford dealer to get a ford one fitted
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 02:04   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

damn i cant spell when i type fast
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons