Ford Forums banner

Falling asleep with cruise on

3K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  DGROMS.com 
#1 ·
The results of me falling asleep with cruise engaged
12:15am November Hume Hwy Sth of Yass drove into back of B-Double crawling up a hill. Worked all day in Melb had to be in Goulburn 8:30am.
I walked away from this with seatbelt bruising
Anybody else done anything as stupid as this?

#3 ·
Click on post reply, and then use the "add attatchments" button. this will take you to another window where you can add attatchment pictures. Or you can email them to me and I'l do it for you :D

#10 ·
Thats why I know have a BA
No did not make it to Goulburn,spent 2 days in Yass
getting what I could salvage out of the back of the AU

#14 ·
Very lucky,that's one of the reasons I don't use cruise control and never drive tired.Cruise control is only good on those stupid 50k speed limit roads.
Still can't understand how you walked away,don't buy a lottery ticket you used up all your luck.

#15 ·
Sorry to hear mate, just lucky no one was hurt. Modern safety technology is a work of art. ;)

Cruise control has the potential to reduce fatigue because it means less physical and mental effort (speedo checks etc) is required to drive the car. But there is absolutely no substitute for being alert and awake.

#17 ·
My cruise control plays up after being on for a little while, so I probably wouldn't be able to go to sleep. Ford Dealer couldn't find it (and frankly, how could they if they only drive it for 8kms...) so it's a now a 'feature' - anti-sleep (and damn annoying) AU cruise control.

Glad you only had seatbelt bruising. Falcons prove themselves pretty good in accidents, as yours and others have shown.

#18 ·
Not one bout cruise control, but i was passenger with my bro in his triton ute when we was headin home from a weekend away spotlightin an runnin amuck at a mates farm. Not gettin any sleep for two days an drivin home, i was havin a snooze in the passenger seat when i woke up at the same time as me bro who was drivin an noticed the white posts were awful close to my door. Then i noticed that the posts had red reflectors! Firkin woke up rather quickly then! Luckily didn't hit nothin an managed to get back on the road safely.

#19 ·
Shit that's a bad hit. I was expecting minimal damage to the front bar but not that. The airbag would have had to have gone off right?

#20 ·
Re: Re: Falling asleep with cruise on

Cobra said:
Shit that's a bad hit. I was expecting minimal damage to the front bar but not that. The airbag would have had to have gone off right?
you would bloody well hope so, if it didn't id be knocking down ford HQ in a second!...glad to hear that you are ok.

#21 · (Edited)

taximan said:
Very lucky,that's one of the reasons I don't use cruise control and never drive tired.Cruise control is only good on those stupid 50k speed limit roads.
I would say the 50k roads are the last place where cc is practical, given that so many things happen that cause you to have to slow down, speed up, hit the brakes etc. For on the highway, and I do a lot of hwy driving every year (prob close to 40,000km), I think cc is invaluable. It allows me to watch the road, not having to constantly look at my speedo. If I drive on the hwy in a vehicle without cc, (my last work vehicle didn't have it), I arrive at my destination noticeably fatigued when compared to driving the same hwy with cc. Now I own a car with cc, I'll never own one without it.

There was only one time I can remember where I was dangerously close to falling asleep, on the evening after a night with almost no sleep. I had to drive the 330 km to Adelaide for a meeting early on Monday morning and drove with the window down for much of the way. Even though it was probably not much over 12 degrees or so outside most of the way.

#22 ·
I find that if i dont have cruise control my speed keeps creeping up, i look down and damn, theres 130 on the speedo again, so cruise control keeps me at my speed.
Mercs have a speed you can set, where you still use the accelerator, but you cant go over the speed you set, unless you floor the accelerator. This could be a good or a bad thing.

#23 ·

TS50 said:
Mercs have a speed you can set, where you still use the accelerator, but you cant go over the speed you set, unless you floor the accelerator. This could be a good or a bad thing.
Or this could be a thing that all BA falcons have, well at least my GT does anyway, and it is a good thing, especially when you want to overtake and then let it glide back to the speed you were at before

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.