A few questions from a noobie - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2003, 01:57   #1 (permalink)
89 DA LTD 3.9MPI

A few questions from a noobie

I just bought my mates 89 LTD DA (i think you guys know him as "zomw|t").. i'm loving the upgrade (i came from having an 89 laser hatch).. but I got a few questions I hope you guys can help me with..

Idle! Sometimes when you start it up, it just conks out again.. like.. it wont idle properly unless you sit your foot on the pedal at about 1k rpm for a minute or so, then it kinda balances out. If the aircon/climate control is on.. it severely struggles to keep the idle and sometimes just stalls.

Stereo! Is there anyway to upgrade to a CD player (maybe from another model or something) while still retaining the rear-passenger controls? Changing to an aftermarket makes all the rear controls useless, and i reckon those little controls rule.. :)

Currently i'm just looking to upgrade the stereo rather dramatically, then work on finding myself a set of nice 18-19s, lowering it, and getting it painted black by my uncle in law.. then i'll be happy!
cenithx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2003, 02:12   #2 (permalink)
w w w .eafalcon. c o m

Re: A few questions from a noobie

It's great to see the car will be staying in the club. Sorry I can't answer any of your questions.. hehe

Enjoy your stay on the forums. :)
dpk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 02:20   #3 (permalink)
NA Fairlane 4.0i

For the idle problem, may be the injectors are dirty or playing up, have a look at them. Also, try clean up the throttle body, which may help if it's dirty. Other than that, I would suspect the head gasket / head is leaking coolant into the combustion chamber.

Agile Falcon
Swift. Agile. Deadly.

1988 NA Fairlane Series I

- 3.9L MPI Engine with 4.0L Equivalent Head
- Old Trusty 3 Speed BW M51 Auto
- Rear Sonar Sensor
- Cheapo CD Player
- Rear Spoiler
- All the luxury of a Fairlane

docomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 02:20   #4 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Good choice in automobile.

I don't know of a combatible stereo. Most people ditch it and do it properly.

18's or 19's??? You mean wheels? Umm, must have a bit of money, they'd nearly be worth the same as the car.. Also, illegal.
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 03:52   #5 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

I've got a DA2, and always was interested in Zomwit's beast, good to see it's back in the club :)

As for the idle, clean out the ISC solenoid, which I might do a tutorial on soon. Very easily done. I had similar problems and cleaning it out fixed it.

As for the stereo, I was hesitant of changing it too because of the rear controls, but in the end no one used the rear controls, and neither did I, so it was pointless and I forgot about them. Not only that, but you've got no CD, and the stock head unit by today's standards is a bit of a heap of shit. I put in a double din Kenwood HU with CD, tape and radio, and I don't regret it for one second. It's got a good beefy remote, and sounds infinitely better. Trust me, get a new head unit.

As for wheels, 18 and 19s are far too big, and will look gay. I think even 17s are pushing it, because LTDs look best long and low, and anything above 17s dwarf the car too much, ruining its long stance. Even 16s are the best I think, so it looks really long but the rims aren't too small.

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 08:48   #6 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

I agrre with alex, 16's will look best, but you will legally be able to go upto 17's.

Oh and I think everyone will agree that an aftremarket HU is the way to go. Those rear controls are just a very primitive form of 'Remote control" and most aftermarket HU's will come with a proper remote that you can hand to your rear passengers...

Also, double DIN HU's will not fit into the radio facia, it'll haveto be modified like alex did, or you will need to stick with single DIN and get a falcon/fairmont facia.
Old 11-21-2003, 21:30   #7 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Also check the air claener isn't clogged as this will also cause the stall at idle start up problem.
Old 11-21-2003, 22:59   #8 (permalink)
89 DA LTD 3.9MPI

Thanks for all the feedback guys..

Reason i was thinking 18-19s was because i can get them cheap since lots of my friends have 18-19s on fords, and when they upgrade they sell their old ones off to friends.

17s i'd have to buy new.. and my budget doesnt allow that.. unless i can find some decent 17s for under 1k-1.2k then i'd definitely go for it since it DOES look much nicer and suit the car more (i photoshopped it and it looks niice)

Stereo wise.. yer.. i've talked to a few people and single-din then a panel over the gap seems to be the best option.

Idle.. all that stuff is beyond me.. will try read up on how to do it.. i've never done anything with engines. Will check it out though. Thanx.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:02   #9 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

I reckon everybody should at least buy one of those Gregorys manuals, when you read about these things you'll find out just how easy most things are to do, so I suggest you go and buy one and read up on a few things, you'll learn a lot, trust me :)

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 17:29   #10 (permalink)
89 DA LTD 3.9MPI

Yeh it has one of those manuals in it.. but to me its just gibberish. I'll prolly sit down and just go through the whole manual at some point.. hopefully at least some of it soaks in :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons