Finally Got A Diagnosis - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2004, 17:14   #1 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Finally Got A Diagnosis

Some of you may know ive had a few problems with the EL XR. It would just stall out for no reason... sputter at idle, the idle would jump up and down violently... would backfire real loudly while cruising, the engine would run hot etc etc. I replaced the ISC solenoid, TPS, dizzy cap, rotor button, leads, plugs, ignition coil and some other stuff i cant remember...

Well i got it diagnosed a couple of months back and it came up fine, just thought it was being a little b*tch. In the last few weeks it would play up really bad, constantly doing the above and i got fed up with it. Took it to a place called Surrey Auto in Surrey Hills (Melbourne) and they hooked up the computer.

I rocked up a couple of hours later to learn that .....

MY ECU FKN SHIT ITSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wtf?? Ive never heard of it happening??!?! He did a few tests, resetting the codes and testing again several times and the same EEC fault code came up. So now i have to get a bloody new ECU... a Manual EL XR computer (has to be EL because of the dizzy ignition setup)

I rang Ford straight away and got a qoute for 600 change over which is bullsh*t. Then rang a mate of mine who is a mechanic and he qouted me $375 for a reco'd one or a second handy?? Just wondering if this is a good price or if anyone knows how an ECU could just "go". Im still stumped over it, but it doesnt suprise me coming from that car, i dont own it, it owns me

Nicko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2004, 17:16   #2 (permalink)
Operation E-Series Hoon™

Re: Finally Got A Diagnosis

Bugger mate. $600 is surely expensive, but if it fixes all the problems, it must be done :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagz
Stop putting stupid yagz quotes in your stupid signatures you stupid people!
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 17:19   #3 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Funny thing is yagz, it wont, something else will go wrong with it hahaha anyways, its for sale, so everyone make me an offer lol

im pretty cut over it, as i thought it'd be something small like a bloody temp sensor or something, but no it has to be the friggin ECU. Just cant comprehend how they just "go"
Old 11-26-2004, 17:20   #4 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

I got quoted 680 dollars for an au xr6 computer from ford .....what a rip!!!!

Makes you wonder how many computer are cactus out there...
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 17:25   #5 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I haven't heard of this happening either... shame the thing isn't still under warranty because it's obviously something Ford stuffed up when assembling the car. If you can get a secondhand item with a warranty of some kind then that would be the way to go.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 17:26   #6 (permalink)
Operation E-Series Hoon™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangNicko
Funny thing is yagz, it wont, something else will go wrong with it hahaha anyways, its for sale, so everyone make me an offer lol

im pretty cut over it, as i thought it'd be something small like a bloody temp sensor or something, but no it has to be the friggin ECU. Just cant comprehend how they just "go"
Have you ever disconnected the battery and reconnected it without unplugging the ECU?

Ever jumpstarted the car straight from neg to neg and pos to pos instead of using the earth bar on the engine?

Alot of different things MAY cause ecu's to die.. Most of the time it's just bad luck :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagz
Stop putting stupid yagz quotes in your stupid signatures you stupid people!
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 17:26   #7 (permalink)
Gonna fit a twin cam

Mate, get in touch with ferntree gulley autos. He has posted on FM that he is gettin some ecu's in soon, for around the 150 mark, and im pretty sure he mentioned xr.
Old 11-26-2004, 17:30   #8 (permalink)

600 bucks geeez my VP commy was doing exactly the same thing about 5 months ago and i had to replace the ECU as wellbut for my VP Berlina computer brand new it was only 170 bucks! i hope not all parts for fords are that expensive or i might just stay with the commy
[JUSTA6] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 17:34   #9 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Na
Mate, get in touch with ferntree gulley autos. He has posted on FM that he is gettin some ecu's in soon, for around the 150 mark, and im pretty sure he mentioned xr.
Geez thats cheap as chips, ill give em a call monday morning! Do ya have a Phone number? thanks dude
Old 11-26-2004, 17:35   #10 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JUSTA6]
600 bucks geeez my VP commy was doing exactly the same thing about 5 months ago and i had to replace the ECU as wellbut for my VP Berlina computer brand new it was only 170 bucks! i hope not all parts for fords are that expensive or i might just stay with the commy
Its not the expensive part... its the rareness of it. A manual XR computer. It'll be like a manual VP SS computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons