First weekend with new BA XR6..... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2003, 18:56   #1 (permalink)

biggrin First weekend with new BA XR6.....

I found BOF's thread most interesting as I also just picked my new NA XR6 up on Friday and have spent this weekend enjoying the new car experience. In NZ the basic XR6 comes standard with LSD, rear power windows and side airbags (I guess this is reflected in the list price NZ49,995).

Having stepped out of a AU1 Forte, the BA experience is unbelievable from an engine and handling perspective. I can understand why everyone raves about the sound of the Barra at 5000rpm, its a symphony! I chose to go with the auto trans and never even drove the manual version. The manual gearbox and clutch seem to be disliked by most other than those who must select their own cogs. Corners can be attacked with confidence even in the wet weather we have experienced this entire weekend. Hopefully next weekend will provide some dry roads for a good long trip......

My only grumble is the interior fitout and finish. Whilst the dash and controls are attractive and practical, it feels cheap and nasty in other areas, like the cup holder flap and the empty box between the front seats. A mate of mine has a Mondeo ST V6, whose interior the BA's seem to have been modelled on, yet the Mondeo's interior is streets ahead and has the solid "feel" of a decent European car. I wonder if my expectations in this area are too high, or the development budget ran out after the suspention and engine guys got busy. I would also like the option of fitting aftermarket stereo equipment, which isn't an option with the BA's.

Small fry stuff though, when the performance is as great as it is!

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 105-0548_IMG.JPG (48.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 105-0550_IMG.JPG (38.6 KB, 66 views)
Whammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2003, 00:37   #2 (permalink)
OLD SKOOL

Re: First weekend with new BA XR6.....

I love the BA's Interior, more classier and better lookn than most cars out!

That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! --Homer Simpson

Uh huh. Uh huh. Okay. Um, can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about the...things? Uh... the things? --Homer Simpson
PERVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 00:49   #3 (permalink)
BA XR8 Driver

I agree with Pervert, I feel the BA's interior is extremely well finished.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:39   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6na
I agree with Pervert, I feel the BA's interior is extremely well finished.
Dont get me wrong guys, I'm not saying its shithouse. Certainly an improvement over previous models, its just the rest of the package is WAY better.
Whammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 03:29   #5 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Look's good mate, enjoy.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 04:35   #6 (permalink)
FF Town Sheriff

Very close to the german (south african built) cars in fit and finish inside. Look out BMW and MERC

" i will own another V8, just what type of body it's in is another question. "
philbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 04:41   #7 (permalink)

the finish on some of the fittings (ie Indicator arms) isn't as good as it could be. There are sharpish edges to these mouldings which could be much better manafactured.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 05:24   #8 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

Congrats on the purchase, I'm currently driving an AU1 Forte and would love to make the switch myself!

It's interesting to see that the NZ base spec comes with some items that are options over here. Does anyone have an idea why?
Old 06-29-2003, 09:03   #9 (permalink)
is FORD....is GOOD!

I would have to "sit on the fence" for this debate, so please read on and allow me to contradict myself :D

I mean the comand centre / dash looks awesome, very neat and precise however there is alot of plastic on the door skins and handles, and the fact the exterior shows through on the gaps on the doors gives a "cold" feel to the interior strictly because of the fact you can see metal!

Ofcourse whilst the dash looks nice the compound used also looks cheap but at the same time serves a purpose. Ford opted for this matte material in an effort to reduce glare from the sun on the dash, ofcourse it works however does look very plasticky.

On the other hand, the full revamp of the dash cosmetically is amongst the nices on the market, (better then holdens confusing button arrangments) cant see too much improvements and so on that note can only be picky on the materials they used and not the layout.

AND the empty box in the middle of the front chairs is a good idea considering the glovebox is small.

Last edited by ITSOVR - XR8; 06-29-2003 at 09:06.
ITSOVR - XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 15:27   #10 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Yes I was surprised that the doors weren't fully skinned inside to cover up all external metal surfaces! Maybe this will be changed in series 2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons