Fitting speedo gear - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2004, 14:11   #1 (permalink)
Gonna fit a twin cam

Fitting speedo gear

Finally got off my arse and bought the correct speedo gear for my diff ratio (only taken me 6 months). Anyway, need some advice on how to fit it up. From memory, its on the passenger side of the gear box (5 speed). How do I go about fitting it, and are there any special tools that I might need? I plan to do it on chrissy/boxing day, and dont think the shops here in Cairns will be open......

Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2004, 14:37   #2 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

Re: Fitting speedo gear

Don't need any special tools just a socket (8mm i think from memory) and some needle nose pliers.

It's on the drivers side, you'll see a cable going into the side of the gearbox, under a little metal plate thingy. undo the bolt that hold the plate in, remove the old gear with the pliers, slot the new one in it's place, then do up the bolt again. Done!

Cheers,
Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 15:23   #3 (permalink)
Gonna fit a twin cam

Thanks for that Dave. Wasnt sure if I needed those pliers for the circlip (spelling), cause on the bottom of the gear, it looks to have a provision for one. Sounds like a five minute job. Too bad its gonna be a pain to get to the thing. Damm low cars lol.

Thanks
Tim
Old 12-22-2004, 15:24   #4 (permalink)

you're not quite as bad as me, my speedo gear has needed replacement for about 9 months, and its still not done.
the 3.45 speedo gear is in the ash tray :o
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 15:34   #5 (permalink)
Gonna fit a twin cam

Thought I was bad. All that was holding me up was finding out the right gear. Fortunatly Ford here had one in stock, and didnt have to order it from broady. It didnt bother me too much livin in melb, as I was used to the traffic flow etc. But up here, everyone seems to drive heaps slower, and im a bit worried about gettin a fine, even though the speedo is reading heaps higher that the speed im doing.
Old 12-22-2004, 15:38   #6 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Mine was out for ages. i got an electronic convertor. So no more gear changes. :D
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 18:18   #7 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

John, change it, your putting more KM on the car than you should be. 12% to many

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons