Fog lights - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2003, 21:48   #1 (permalink)

Fog lights

Why are the "fog lights" (that's what their called in the owners manual) on BA wired to work on low and high beam? I thought fog lamps were only supposed to be used on low beam? Aren't fog lamps supposed to be yellow?

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2003, 21:54   #2 (permalink)
Busdriver

According to the ADRs fog lights may be wired in any configuration at all - they can be totally independent of all other lights even park lights. Or they can be in conjucnction with any/all combinations of the vehicles headlights/parklights.

For most effectiveness in dense fog they are best used on their own ie. with headlights off. Of course if it is during the hours of darkness the park lights must stay on. In rain or snow/sleet they are quite effective used in conjunction with high or low beam whichever is in use at the time depending on the vicinity of other road users.

Fog lights may be white or yellow - yellow light is easier on the eyes ie less glare, but the available light is reduced by up to 15% as against a white light.
Old 01-22-2003, 17:09   #3 (permalink)
dannyr

I thought the "Fog Lights" on BA XR's were driverling lights and hence only come on with the high beam?

What are the lights on Fairmont Ghia?

Danny.
Old 01-22-2003, 18:01   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dannyr
I thought the "Fog Lights" on BA XR's were driverling lights and hence only come on with the high beam?

No no

Busdriver - thanks for your reply - very informative

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 06:28   #5 (permalink)
First On Race Day!

God damn people... how many times do we have to go over this...

Unless they've chenged something since I last looked this is how the lighting setup works.

1. On the Fairmont Ghia, and other non XR BAs with the option, the rectangular lights in the lower bumper are parking lights. The ones in the headlights aren't there, there isn't even a hole in the reflector for the parking light to go through. Instead the light has been mounted down low. This menas you have a 5W bulb down low which looks pretty but doesn't annoy anyone.

2. On the XR models, and GT of course there are round driving/fog lights. These can probably be switched on with the lights, but also have a switch to turn them off when you don't need it. (SS drivers seem to miss this point on their car!) These lights contain 55W high beam bulbs (i'm pretty sure they use normal ones) and also contain a deflector that covers the top half sphere of the bulb so as not to get other drivers in the face and piss them off too much.

That should explain it all...
There's nothin' like 290Kw of Sledge Hammer wrapped in a plush leather glove! :evl:

Even a 285Kw Y2 Senator Signature can't take it down... and they've had half a year to study it!
james_rickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 23:14   #6 (permalink)

I 've had both the yellow & white on various cars over my time & in dense fog the white lights are far greater as they tend to provide better light coverage of the road. The white lights tended to work over a larger distance that the yellow ones.
Also, the white lights tended to produce less glaire in the fog.
Fog light (like mentioned above) work best with the headlights set only on 'parker' setting.

When fitting new fog lights on an older vehicle, try to get them as low to the ground as sensiably possible as the one like you see on a lot of police vehicle (mounted on a bar above the number palate) . I've got foggys on my EL mounted just under the headlights & they work a treat.

cheers.
brchi17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons