Ford should drop XR6T (read on before you lynch me) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2004, 06:24   #1 (permalink)

Ford should drop XR6T (read on before you lynch me)

IMO Ford have 1 too many cars in their line up at the moment. Since the XR6T was introduced, correct me if i'm wrong, but there seem to be proprotionately more XR6Ts going around vs XR8s i.e the XR8 seems to be becoming the forgotten child in the mix.

I (unfortunately) have to agree with John Crennans comments re FPV and their F6 Typhoon and how there's not a big enough market for all the cars (XR6T, XR8, F6, GT, GT-P).

If this does become the case (and god please let me and Mr Crennan be wrong), how do people see Ford dealing with the situation? Here's my take...

*Ford drops XR6T, ups power output for XR6 to 200 - 210kw (deliberately less than even the base V8 falc). This is still enough to satisfy most people without cannibalising ALL sales, and means that if people are serious about owning an XR they will go for the XR8. Holden do this with S and SS commodores.

*Turbo engine is left exclusively for FPV in 270kw guise, along with GT and GTP v8 cars at 290kw.

John Crennans comments re the XU6 vs F6 are, imo, a bit shy of the mark in one aspect. The XU6 was based on an engine that was old and coarse. the F6 simply isn't. Therefore I think the Turbo 6 can live with the GT & GTP, but for the sake of the exclusivity and to minimalise possible cannibalisation, should be cut from the Ford XR range.

OK i've tied the noose, so i suppose i'll have to let everyone hang me now...

imugli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2004, 06:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ford should drop XR6T (read on before you lynch me)

Drops a model that is selling like Slurpies on a 50 deg day.... Maybe it's not FPV it is threatening... Maybe it's HSV??? i dont know... i dont think its hurting the image.. i think if u asked any XR6T buyer if they would happily swap it for a GT for free, I am sure anyone would!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:35   #3 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
IMO Ford have 1 too many cars in their line up at the moment. Since the XR6T was introduced, correct me if i'm wrong, but there seem to be proprotionately more XR6Ts going around vs XR8s i.e the XR8 seems to be becoming the forgotten child in the mix.

I (unfortunately) have to agree with John Crennans comments re FPV and their F6 Typhoon and how there's not a big enough market for all the cars (XR6T, XR8, F6, GT, GT-P).

If this does become the case (and god please let me and Mr Crennan be wrong), how do people see Ford dealing with the situation? Here's my take...

*Ford drops XR6T, ups power output for XR6 to 200 - 210kw (deliberately less than even the base V8 falc). This is still enough to satisfy most people without cannibalising ALL sales, and means that if people are serious about owning an XR they will go for the XR8. Holden do this with S and SS commodores.

*Turbo engine is left exclusively for FPV in 270kw guise, along with GT and GTP v8 cars at 290kw.

John Crennans comments re the XU6 vs F6 are, imo, a bit shy of the mark in one aspect. The XU6 was based on an engine that was old and coarse. the F6 simply isn't. Therefore I think the Turbo 6 can live with the GT & GTP, but for the sake of the exclusivity and to minimalise possible cannibalisation, should be cut from the Ford XR range.

OK i've tied the noose, so i suppose i'll have to let everyone hang me now...

You're joking right? Holden has a far more diverse model range then Ford, and it isn't hurting them. Lets compare performance car ranges..

VYII:
Holden Commodore S
Holden Commodore SV8
Holden Commodore SS
Holden Crewman SS
Holden Monaro CV8
HSV Clubsport
HSV Clubsport R8
HSV Senator
HSV Senator Signature
HSV Grange
HSV GTO
HSV GTO LE
HSV GTS300 Sedan
HSV GTS300 Coupe
HSV Avalanche
HSV Coupe4
HSV XUV

BA:
Ford Falcon XR6
Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo
Ford Falcon XR8
FPV GT
FPV GT-P
FPV Pursuit

Hmm? Too many models eh?

*Positions imugli in custody of FF Lynch Mob - Punishment Pending*
Old 07-28-2004, 06:56   #4 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

if the V8's are not selling then Ford/FPV need to prove to the customer why they should buy it over the T. A little weight reduction would be a start. Personally I think the T should stay. It gives Ford a new market to look at.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:02   #5 (permalink)
workaholic

as far as i know the BA XR8 is now out selling the SS commodore well it was last month. correct me if im wrong but i think ull find its true. Why the hell would you drop such a sucessfull selling car???????
Old 07-28-2004, 07:08   #6 (permalink)

I agree holden have a more diverse range of performance oriented cars, but no-where did i mention diversity when compared to holden's range. Holden's platform almost won them the Australian Design Award this year simply for being so adaptable to different uses. I did mention that Holden have there S which is a 6 and the SS which is an 8 - that was all.

My point was more that with the F6 coming in to production soon the XR8 may simply be made the forgotten child of the line up. On one side of it in the line-up you'll up a turbo 6 that has beaten it every time they've gone head to head, and on the other side, you'll have a turbo six with more torque than any engine produced in the country, presumably even better balanced than the XR6T. Therefore instead of squeezing the XR8 OUT of the lineup, drop the XR6T. If ford made the XR6 a little more powerful, and the XR8 more atractive (I agree Night Lurker) I don't think they would lose too many sales. The Turbo 6 would remain but as a premium product in the FPV garage. The net outcome being that ford wouldn't lose too many sales (if any) due to improved non turbo product and FPV would still gain increased traffic into showrooms.

At this point in time I would like to say that i will not be begging or grovelling for any mercy. I have said that I hope all models can live together in harmony. working with each other towards world peace and faster better cars for us all. I will not be heard from again pending my punishment at the hands of the FF Lynchmob.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:11   #7 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

That's just silly talk! XR6 Turbo is taking buyers from the WRX! People who want XR8 for that V8 will never want a Turbo 6. XR8 is still selling great, and as lucas93 said, it's outselling the SS too.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:19   #8 (permalink)

ok i did say i wouldn't be heard from again, but i couldn't do it.

I honestly wasn't aware that the XR8 was outselling the SS, so kudos to Lucas93, but again, my rationale was based on FORD's line-up alone, not Ford's line-up vs Holden's Line-up.

I'll say it again - I HOPE IT NEVER HAPPENS.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:38   #9 (permalink)

And let me just repeat the question... IF the situation arose whereby the F6 Typhoon WAS hurting sales of Ford or FPV vehicles, either by damaging the image of the brand or cannibalising sales or for any reason, what do people suggest could/would/should be done?
Old 07-28-2004, 08:14   #10 (permalink)
ST170ish

I reckon they should drop the normal XR6 name coz its not really an XR its just a body kit and a few different dress parts over the standard Falcon, it should be called the S pack because thats all it is.
IMO it just draging the XR exclusivness/trade in value downwards, hows does that joke go "why are Commodores(clits) like mobile phones... coz every @#$% got one"
If you really want the look of an XR buy a real XR be it XR6T or XR8, there should be no poor mans XR... whats next a GT6?(jk)
It may be your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
ST170ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons