Front End Clunk - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2005, 16:47   #1 (permalink)
Mondeo Obsessed

Front End Clunk

Hi All.

I have an XR6T BA Mk II, 6sp manual.

When turning, usually when going up into my driveway, there is a loud clunking noise from the front end. It seems to be more prominent when front wheels are turned to left.

It makes no noise in a straight line, none at any time other than low speed shaprish turns. It ssems to make it more when backing out rather than turnng in (ie mving backwards not forewards)

It has already had the steering rack "fix" done twice. (1st time i think nothing was done, the second time i'm pretty confident he did the "shim" fix which i'm told is common.

Anyone got any other ideas, or any way for me to tell whether the fix has/hasnt been done???
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2005, 06:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: Front End Clunk

Loose Castor Arm?

any comment is really a guess mate, without being able put hands on the car and check it.

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 15:50   #3 (permalink)

I have a similar clunk on my EF futura.
Only happens when I am braking hard, the last 20km/h to a standstill, and only if I am turning hard left.
Basically coming to a stop and turning hard left, particularly downhill.
Myself and a mechanic have been over everything with a fine tooth comb, and can't find a thing.
I have pretty much given up trying to find and cure it, so I just don't brake hard to a stop while turning left.
If you ever find out the cause, and cure, please post it so I can follow suit.
CraigS288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 17:30   #4 (permalink)
Mondeo Obsessed

Ok, back to ford it goes......... again (for the third time )

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-03-2006, 21:19   #5 (permalink)
Mondeo Obsessed

Well, i havent been back to ford yet - needless to say i'm not convinced they'll actually fix it (given they've ad two goes already and failed).

A bit more ifno if anyone can help (so i have some idea where to point them to fix it!).

I seem to be able to reproduce the noise fairly reliably when i do a right hand U-turn at low-moderate speed, or on sharp right hand turns.

It's a dull metallic clunk.

Does this give anyone any ideas? Surely mine's not the only falcon that does this........
Old 01-04-2006, 01:49   #6 (permalink)
old B - new B

mine developed a clung at about 15000Ks when i went over a speed hump or a sharp bump in the road surface like a change from hot mix to ashfelt.

it was the bolts holding the alloy front cross member to the body frame were just loose enought to let the cross member move a fraction and make the noise.

tightened all the bolt up about 1/4 - 1/2 turn and it has never happened again in 51000k.

mechanic mate who used to work for mercedes in tassie said that the late model benz`s have the same problem if the bolts are not tightened at the first service.

might be worth checking

if you can get under it with a socket and long handle
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:42   #7 (permalink)
Registered Bum

Ha, my old XF does that... I put it down to a ford noise

I also put it down to a ford moment when it stopped working... still waiting to get that fixed!
eMpTyCoFfIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:09   #8 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Also check steering rack mount bolts and bushings. Get someone to move the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the steering rack with the bonnet up. Check both sides and if the rack moves the mounts are loose.
Old 01-05-2006, 00:43   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjames
Well, i havent been back to ford yet - needless to say i'm not convinced they'll actually fix it (given they've ad two goes already and failed).

A bit more ifno if anyone can help (so i have some idea where to point them to fix it!).

I seem to be able to reproduce the noise fairly reliably when i do a right hand U-turn at low-moderate speed, or on sharp right hand turns.

It's a dull metallic clunk.

Does this give anyone any ideas? Surely mine's not the only falcon that does this........
Mine does this as well. Mainly happens when I am turning into a car park or something.
I have mentioned while it was getting serviced but they said they couldnt find anything wrong with it. They said they couldnt get it to make a noise, even though I could get it to do it while I was pulling out of the service driveway.
BAXLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 20:34   #10 (permalink)
Mondeo Obsessed

Thanks everyone.

351cid - i'll diretly suggest this at next service (nearing 30kkm now).

I've had the steering rack looked at - re-lubed and shim tightened apparently to "fix" the clunk!

Also Glad it's also not just mine doing this.

Cheers
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons