Ford Forums banner

fuel consumption in XR6

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  GTP 320 
#1 ·
Have just purchased ba xr6 ute. Mercury silver with blue seats. premiun sound system and auto. Very happy with quality of car. Have owned V6 Jap cars for 10 years. I have a couple of question for other xr6 owners
1. Excess heat in cabin Having to put a/c on in 10 deg at 6 am in morning.
2. Fuel economey. currently running at 8.3 klms per ltr or roughly 24miles per gallon on combined highway/city travel will this get better.

My 2001 nissan Maxima got better fuel ecomey after 10000 klms

Overall I am very happ with my purchase and my father who drives bmw's, and nissan maximas is going out next week to order a xr6 sedan with luxury pack

thank you

#2 ·
SmokinJoe,
Although I am yet to pick up my XR6 ute, I have driven a number of auto BA falcons - with the same engine obviously. Not sure about your excess heat in the cabin, but can offer some advice on fuel.

From countless posts in the past, people have definately said their Fords get better and better fuel ecomony the more k's they do. Going by the format litres per 100 k's - used by the car's trip computer - your current figures equate to around 12lt/100 k's. From what I hear, that is perfectly acceptable for a brand new car.

I did a 4 hour round trip in one yesterday (it had 10,000 + k's on it) and it averaged 8 litres/100k's. Which is VERY good. Note: that was a calculation done myself by using the kilometres I travelled and how many litres it took to fill back up when I returned. The computer was saying about 9.5lt/100k's... but it nearly always overstates the actual fuel used.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
TJS-81

Thank you for your reply. My calculations came out at 12l/100klms. This was done by distance travelled = 511 klms x100 divided by fuel used = 61.41 ltrs. This was 25 % town 75% highway. The car is babied and after it is run in like you say I should expect better figures.

Thank you for your reply
smokinjoe

#4 ·
Thats good figures for the XR 6 ute ,wish mine could do that but then its a GT with the big Boss in it, i'm averaging around 16-19 lt/100ks. but they are fun to drive so im not complaining because you have to expect this from a 5.4 V8
Cheers John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.