Fuel octane changes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2005, 00:57   #1 (permalink)

Fuel octane changes

As from next month over here (NZ) the Government in their wisdom has decided to drop back 96 octane petrol to 95 octane, just wondering if my XR8 AU3 ute will run on that OK, I know it would be better to use 98 but I would have to travel about 25 km out of my way just to get it and at $1.61 a litre for 96 would rather not have to if it was possible, besides 98 would be around $1.68 a litre. would welcome any feedback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2005, 02:30   #2 (permalink)
I love my FORD!

Re: Fuel octane changes

i use 98 octane ultimate. it's good fuel, you can actually feel the difference in the car.

don't know about the xr8 though.
2003 BA FUTURA. Harvest Green, Lowered with Kings springs and Koni shocks, 18" GT-P mag wheels, XR front bar headlights and grill, XR rear spoiler, Fairmont Bootlid trim, XR6T snorkle, Typhoon second CAI, K&N filter, Pacemaker extractors with Herrod cat back, 3.73 LSD & CAPA FLASH with custom tune. ALSO 12" dual voice coil kicker, JL 5x7's and 1800W of amps!
dawal5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:01   #3 (permalink)

They haven't said what will happen to the MON rating - I'll bet that's dropping as well. So I'm guessing lots of people, especially with high performance engines, will notice the difference. Why do you think BP has been pushing Ultimate recently?

95 will have lower levels of nasty aromatics (benzene, etc) than 96 for environmental reasons. Because the crap refinery at Marsden Point can't keep the octane at 96 without using lots of aromatics, the Government has let them reduce the octane rating to 95.

But Gull will stay at 96 as it's all imported. And Gull is the best petrol that you can get in NZ at the moment, apart from Ultimate. My XR6 will pink on BP 91 sometimes, such as going north up the Bombays on a cold night, but runs perfectly on Gull 91.
BA_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 22:37   #4 (permalink)

i heard as well that in australia we will be dropping 91 ron fuel so the basic will become 95.
anyone heard similar?
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons