Fuel problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2002, 18:45   #1 (permalink)
PHIL82

Fuel problem

G'day

I have a fuel problem on my 90 EAII (4 spd auto)

Just after going 260KM mostly on highway... no leadfoots... my fuel tank ate $25 in unleaded fuel. (How expensive is that?!!!)

26 KM should only use approximately $15 on fuel - what is the problem? fuel filter, spark plugs??

Any ideas?

PHil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2002, 18:59   #2 (permalink)
PHIL82

fuel probs

My car has trouble starting up on cold mornings, when I get to fire her up, the car shudders really badly and a lot of grey smoke comes out of the exhaust - maybe due to too much fuel trying to go through the engine because of my fuel problem?!

Lots of fuel = grey smoke right? Must be the fuel filter I believe... any suggestions?

Also when I drag race other cars... the baby hesistates and backfires and leaves this big line of heavy black smoke (like a big burnout but from the exhuast) and then she roars away like hell after the backfire, maybe due to too much fuel being feeded to the engine? some of my mates in commodores reckon my auto gearbox is ****ed... I don't believe that. I tell them my fords 'built tough!'

Maybe to resolve the backfire prob are to put new sparkplugs in...?

Phil
Old 05-13-2002, 19:09   #3 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Re: fuel probs

To me it sounds like the timing might be out, mine ate through shitloads of fuel when it was out big time. And the shuddering when starting cold and the backfiring also makes me think it's somethin to do with timing. I highly doubt your fuel filter would be contributing to excessive fuel consumption, if any filter is contributing it would be your air filter

Ed
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 19:21   #4 (permalink)

Re: fuel probs

My ea used to give out white smoke on start up aswell, and shudder. After, it would run sweet with no smoke at all. Since then I have changed my coolant temperature sensor and I haven't had that problem.

I am assuming that you have the multipoint.

Firstly, I would do a diagnosis on the computer to check for errors. Remember to reset the computer once you have fixed any errors that showed up.

You could also go to the wreckers and get a coolant temperature sensor, oxygen sensor and an MAP sensor out of an ef. This is what I did.

Also, check that the vacuum hose going to your MAP sensor is not cracked.
Old 05-13-2002, 20:36   #5 (permalink)
PHIL82

probs.

It sounds like my EA has a major problem, it may be a number of reasons so maybe I should better send my car off to a mechanic for a diagnosis fo the fuel problem and find out the 'actual' problem and get it repaired to save me back some money.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:17   #6 (permalink)
eafalcon.com member

$Cost

image, how much did it cost for the o2, coolant and map sensors from the wreckers. Since they are out of an EF did you have to change any wiring. Also is yours CFI or MPFI?

Thanks mate.

Jason.

never late in a V8

comming soon
K&N air filter
XR8 intake snorkle
High flow exhaust/cats/hm headers
Clear front & side indicators
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 11:16   #7 (permalink)
PHIL82

fuel prob

Today I got to fill up my petrol tank all the way up with unleaded fuel, about 60 Litres of it.

I went crusing to TAFE and back home, 45 kilometres.

I decided I wanted to find how much fuel my uses to go to TAFE and back so I filled my EA up at the Service station when I got back from home, I filled her up as much as I could and it was $8.

A bit expensive I reckon... my car usually did 45 km with approx 5 dollars of fuel for 45 km.

Maybe my engines out of tune, what do you reckon?

my backfiring and shuddering has finished...a bit strange.
Old 05-14-2002, 12:38   #8 (permalink)

Re: fuel prob

maybe the petrol price has gone up and you didnt notice
jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 13:28   #9 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

lol

Ed
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 14:21   #10 (permalink)
Shaken Not Stirred

I know for a fact that my timing is out, and it shudders like hell in the mornings!
Also using a bit too much juice...
the_scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons