Fuel range feature - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2005, 15:10   #1 (permalink)
XR Madness!

Fuel range feature

New i had to find a servo soon 'cause the fuel range meter was showing 3 k's till empty. I was expecting the XR was going to run out of fuel due to the meter being slightly out. (Is it possible it could be acurate with an estimated 1/2 a litre sloshing around the tank)

I did make it to the servo (pheew) and all my questions where answer when it only took 63 litres to fill it. That tells me that when the range meter says 'near on empty', it still has about 5 litres in the tank.

I suppose it could be a good thing knowing that there is a little bit in reserve.

Anyone else got that close to empty, or does my range metre need adjusting?

P.S- I know i should drive around on an empty tank, couldn't help it this time.
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2005, 17:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fuel range feature

I have been down to 0 klms until empty and only been able to get 70 litres into the tank of my BAXR6 ute which has an 80 litre tank.
Its nice to now theres a bit in reserve.
GAZXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 21:37   #3 (permalink)

I have been down to 2km to go on the Fuel Range and it took 64 litres to fill the XR8 sedan take of 68 litres. Must be the built in safty measure of around 5 litres. I always drive my XR8 to approx 10km left on the Fuel Range.

To try and get the most out of every tank.
Diablo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 23:08   #4 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

I regularly run mine to zero and then a while (well a few km maybe, not for hours on end)
Never got more then 63l into the tank on fill.

Lets see if i get 11.5l/100km thats 8.7km to litre
so thats 591km out of 68 litres, but i regulary get well over 600
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:43   #5 (permalink)

Distance to empty is a calculated estimate of remaining distance based on fuel guage sender reading, current & recent driving conditions.
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 23:20   #6 (permalink)
I love my FORD!

i regularly go to 0kms left... ford have set is so that people don't run out of fuel.. there is still about 8-10 litres left. i'd prefer it to be accurate. and for 0 to mean 0. i had the trip computer in my ea and i found that to be much better from that perspective.

btw.. i'm lucky to get 450 before it's telling me i'm empty (commonly 410), i got better economy from the 16 year old ea.
2003 BA FUTURA. Harvest Green, Lowered with Kings springs and Koni shocks, 18" GT-P mag wheels, XR front bar headlights and grill, XR rear spoiler, Fairmont Bootlid trim, XR6T snorkle, Typhoon second CAI, K&N filter, Pacemaker extractors with Herrod cat back, 3.73 LSD & CAPA FLASH with custom tune. ALSO 12" dual voice coil kicker, JL 5x7's and 1800W of amps!
dawal5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 00:50   #7 (permalink)

you all sound very CONFIDENT!!!!!
I WAS like you guys, regularly drive past 0k range (BA XR8)..........
but then the other week it just stopped DEAD... still showing 11KM on the range. so somehow it has got out of whack! and now i dont trust it!!!
it always seem a little confused anyway, as i often get over 550 or even 700KM on a trip out of a tank but even after filling it up, it never shows more than 450-480 range..... but then it starts going UP as you drive along!!! it seems great, the further you drive the more the range goes up..... until a point..... then it sorts itself out.
PS, i have a friend with a BA futura, his stopped, out of fuel, still showing 35km......... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
THE BOSS LIKES A DRINK ! . AND NO MATTER HOW MANY KWs YOU HAVE ...... YOU WILL BE SLOWER THAN OTHER CARS.... WHEN YOU HAVE NO FUEL!!!
CBYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 18:03   #8 (permalink)

Wow i can't believe how many people drive their cars till the tank is almost empty. I was always told not to do that because all the junk that sits at the bottom of the tank might get into the pump and lines and stuff. :hrm:

I got back to Campbelltown from Melbourne yesterday. Filled the Tank at Greensborough, Melbourne and drove straight up the Hume Fwy/Hwy to Campbelltown. Stopped at Yass with about 600km on the tripmeter, the tank reading 1/4 full and 190km left on the range display. Filled it up again and it only took 56L. I thought that was pretty good for the XR8 ute, although the 2 people only add about 150kg and the stuff in the back was only about 150kg too.
crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 19:22   #9 (permalink)

Beware, distance to empty (DTE) can be a bit of a rubbery figure sometimes. If you troll around town your DTE figure with a full tank might be 500kM. The trip computer has calculated this from your previous tankful (or maybe even before) based on fuel consumption. If you then fill up and hit the open road where your fuel consumptiom will be different (better) the trip computer sets about calculating a new DTE figure based on the different consumption profile. In fact, if you select DTE while cruising, you can see the DTE figure incrementing UP even as you drive, because the computer is recognising the change and is now saying you can go further on this tank because your fuel usage is less. But it would still need at last one tankful of cruise driving to recalibrate itself and be really useful. So, treat the DTE with a little caution.

I have run my EL XR6 5sp down to 9kM DTE over 753kM, and put 73 L in a 67 L tank. Probably not the best thing to do, but boundaries have to be tested! And it's always advisable to keep the fuel pump well submerged in the cool petrol, which is why they say to fill up around quarter full.
fordboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 20:37   #10 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

Im impressed at anyone who gets 700km out of a tank, in an XR8!

I dont really use the Range, I use the old fashioned needle and i ALWAYS reset tripA at each fill, so i go by that. I treat Range as just a backup.
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons