fuel tank - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2004, 01:02   #1 (permalink)
Coupe XA

fuel tank

I changed my car from super to unleaded and its a pain in the arse to fill the tank cause it squirts fuel out when its full.

is there a fuel tank filler that i can swap it over from a later model car?
its for a xa fairmont
benXaGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2004, 02:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: fuel tank

The best way to prevent the overflow is get a rouigh idea of how much fuel you need. eg: if your gauge reads 1/2 full, then you know you need about 30 to full. So when filling, once you hit the 25 litre mark on the bowser, slow it right down, and listen for the girgling sound, this is when it is almost full.

I cant see why swapping from super to unleaded would make a difference.... I know the nozzles are different diameters... but I have, and all other XA/XB owners I know, have always had problems, even befotre unleaded fuel was available.
xbgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 04:39   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Must be you guys. I have no issues what so ever. My mates wagon and coupe are pricks to fill. My sedans not an issue.

Brenden
Old 09-25-2004, 09:20   #4 (permalink)
Coupe XA

i have no fuel gauge !!!!!

i just top it up once a week :-)

The nozzels on the fuel pumps are different sizes unleaded is smaller than the super nozzel.
So on the cars running super the filler is quite a bit bigger than the unleaded fuel pump. When filling the tank once its full heaps of fuel sprays out and goes everywhere somtimes can be embarasing and is also a waste of fuel that i paid for.Usually i slow down when the tank is nearly full 70 ltr mark and then i just trickle it in to stop this problem. It really needs a non return valve so the fuel cant spray out and also sealing around the nozzel and the filler hole.

Is there any model car that can swap the fillers over?
Old 09-25-2004, 18:55   #5 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

Good question, Its a big problem on the XR-XY sedans too. I've been contemplating making an insert for the filler neck that necks it down to the size of the undleaded nozzles so its less of a problem, but jsut haven't gotten around to it...

Ben
GammaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 21:29   #6 (permalink)
Coupe XA

Yeah thats a great idea
Mabey use a plastic funnel and cut the end of the funnel at the same outside diameter as the fuel pump nozzel. Drill 4 hols in it and bolt it under the existing filler cap

Even when i used to fill with super it had the overflow problem

I dont think it will be hard to fix
Old 09-25-2004, 22:23   #7 (permalink)
5.8 litre

Try this. Put petrol nozzle all the way in and then pull it out about 1 inch. Try filling with it like this. It worked on my XR.
The worst cars to fill would have to be XD/E/F utes. The filler tube bends straight away down and towards the back of the car. Petrol nozzle wont even fit 3/4 the way in. If you dont slow down when car is almost full, petrol nozzle wont click to stop and petrol runs down the side of the ute.
xd351ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 06:42   #8 (permalink)
Coupe XA

[QUOTE=xd351ute]Try this. Put petrol nozzle all the way in and then pull it out about 1 inch. Try filling with it like this. It worked on my XR.

Thats what i do but it sprays out when it clicks when its full.

Half the time im not bothered cause when i fill up im usually wearing my work clothes and i smell anyway the fuel smell hides the smell of what ive been doing anyway lol
Old 09-27-2004, 05:14   #9 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

i had this problem for a short while as well i now take an extra 2 minutes and pump it in slower hey presto no more probs.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons