Futura - Australia's Best family car - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2002, 20:05   #1 (permalink)

Futura - Australia's Best family car

More Great News ....

Check this link ....

http://www.australiasbestcars.com.au/2002/family.htm
spin doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2002, 20:21   #2 (permalink)
Australian XR6 Member

biggrin Guess who has been awarded Best Aussie Car

Get that band playin'

Best 'Aussie' car announced
By Tim Dornin
November 06, 2002
THE tide may be starting to turn. After dominating sales and awards in recent years, the all conquering Holden Commodore has finally been beaten, with the new Ford Falcon taking out the best family car section of Australia's Best Cars awards.

Presented by Australia's combined motoring clubs, the awards are among Australia's most prestigious.
And the family car category is probably the most important, considered by the clubs to be the make-or-break section of the new car market.

Best cars chief judge Ernest Litera said the new BA Falcon was a great car in a category with very little between the final contenders which included the Commodore and the new Toyota Camry.
"Falcon's win was marked by improvements in a number of areas where Commodore has traditionally been a clear leader," the judges said.

"Inside, Ford has tidied up the car, delivering a functional, smart and comfortable cabin with supportive seats, well positioned controls and good driving position adjustability."
The judges also praised Falcon's new engines, steering and suspension.
But they said the Commodore was not soundly beaten even though it now trailed the Falcon in innovation, ergonomics, performance, smoothness and quietness.

Mr Litera said Falcon's win today would be a major boost to Ford in the local market.
"Ford needed to claw back the ground it has lost against Holden and a win in Australia's Best Cars will give them a major marketing edge," he said.
In other categories the Renault Clio was named the best small car, the Holden Astra and the Mazda6 won in the two sections for mid-sized models, the Toyota Avensis Verso won for best people mover and the Falcon XR6 was named the best sports car under $57,000.

The Mercedes Benz E320 was named the best luxury car where price was not a consideration and the Renault Laguna was considered the best luxury car under $57,000.
The Subaru Forester, BMW X5 and the Toyota Landcruiser turbo diesel won the three categories for four-wheel-drive models.
Dinga's XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 20:23   #3 (permalink)
Evil Holden Overlord

They are the most prestigous awards? How come I never heard of them before?
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 20:30   #4 (permalink)
Australian XR6 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
I've never heard of these before either.

Buy hey, it's more than we have had over the past few years !!!!!
Dinga's XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 20:49   #5 (permalink)
Crikey

As far as I know these awards are the result of the combined motoring associations (NRMA, RACV etc) passing judgement. I don't know how long they have been around in this form but I think it is a couple of years.

In my opinion the BA has won a prestigious award in deed.

RPO can you confirm this?
Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 20:52   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

No surprises there!

Something would be seriously wrong if it came anywhere but first in that category.

Check out which car got the nod over the STi to win Best performance car for under 57K .. no prizes for guessing..
Old 11-05-2002, 20:58   #7 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
Take a look at the site and see who's involved...these awards would have more credibility than Wheels Car of the Year IMO considering the people involved.
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 21:00   #8 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by Blurter
As far as I know these awards are the result of the combined motoring associations (NRMA, RACV etc) passing judgement. I don't know how long they have been around in this form but I think it is a couple of years.

In my opinion the BA has won a prestigious award in deed.

RPO can you confirm this?
Yep you are right Blurter. Checkout www.australiasbestcars.com.au for all details.

Impressive!
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 21:09   #9 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

It's all here:
http://www.australiasbestcars.com.au/2002/default.htm

AU won the award back in '98... and subsequently Ford used it in marketing of the Falcon..

Interesting how they state that it was a close contest - I'm yet to drive a VY but most reviews I have read state quite the opposite.

And VY a better car than the new Camry? If they say so..
Old 11-05-2002, 21:29   #10 (permalink)
How bloody Hot is it ??!!

Interesting how they marked depreciation cost.. just how do you work that out in a month-old car ??

I found that in the last few years, the scores for the commodore has gone backwards...

2000 - 3.79 VX Acclaim (winner)
2001 - 3.66 VX Acclaim (winner)
2002 - 3.60 VY Acclaim ( runner-up)

And the Falcon trumps in with a 3.76...

Also the XR6T scored 4.10 over the WRX STi 3.81. last year the WRX won with a 3.79 score..

Things are indeed looking good............

Fal con (flk on, fl-, fkon) n.
characterized by their long wings and their method of hunting, which is to rise above and swoop down on their prey.
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons