Gees what to buy? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2004, 07:32   #1 (permalink)

Gees what to buy?

Went looking at buying a Falcon SR today, looked OK etc etc (looked at the sports which is basically the same). The price seemed too high (i Know thee is 6 grand worth of extras), just that the top price did not budge much at all. Then asked what an xr6 NA was worth, quoted around 44k with premium sound. Thought it was OK. Then the price came quickly down to just under 41k. Why would I buy an SR (basically still a XT with extras) for 38 when can get XR6 for a little more.
A few qstns if I may.
1. What kind of deals/discounts would I expect to see. What prices/discounts have people got for a XR6NA?
2. Confused on the sound system. Looked at the SR/Sports stereo, it had a small screen, but 6 cd stacker. This XR was fited extra with a larger color screen and 6 cd's. How many different stereos are there and what models have what stereo standard?
3. Would the SR and the XR6 have the same suspension?
4. What are people's thoughts on the red(Vixen or is it called Venom, I have forgot). WHatever the new red is kinda like it, had an orange tinge to it.

Cheers
navy blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2004, 07:35   #2 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Re: Gees what to buy?

Mate for that amount of dollar's in difference I'd go for the XR just for the appeal alone.Vixen is very classy looking.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 07:57   #3 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy blue
Went looking at buying a Falcon SR today, looked OK etc etc (looked at the sports which is basically the same). The price seemed too high (i Know thee is 6 grand worth of extras), just that the top price did not budge much at all. Then asked what an xr6 NA was worth, quoted around 44k with premium sound. Thought it was OK. Then the price came quickly down to just under 41k. Why would I buy an SR (basically still a XT with extras) for 38 when can get XR6 for a little more.
A few qstns if I may.
1. What kind of deals/discounts would I expect to see. What prices/discounts have people got for a XR6NA?
2. Confused on the sound system. Looked at the SR/Sports stereo, it had a small screen, but 6 cd stacker. This XR was fited extra with a larger color screen and 6 cd's. How many different stereos are there and what models have what stereo standard?
4. What are people's thoughts on the red(Vixen or is it called Venom, I have forgot). WHatever the new red is kinda like it, had an orange tinge to it.

Cheers
Hi

I have one, bought it a year ago. Can answer some of your questions:

1. I have the BA NA XR6, manual, with sunroof, premium audio, rear electric windows, full alarm kit, wheel sensors, paint protection, interior protection, window tinting, scuff plates and XR mats. Retailed on the road for just under $50K but got it for $43 100 including on roads and custom plate. Most of the time the deal you get depends on whether or not you have a trade in. You can get more if you sell your car privately and then get the max off the new one, otherwise if you trade in, they will not give you a decent trade in price and a good deal as well... but you could be looking at $3K or more off the price....

2. The SR comes with just a 6 stack CD on top of the regular base system which just has the small monochrome screen. The difference between that and premium audio (which they order on most cars) is you get the 6 stack CD, you also get the larger colour TFT screen, a few more functions on the stereo, more speakers, an amp, a subbie in the back - premium audio is around $1000 I think, but the 6 stack CD alone as an option is worth about $400 I believe. So the SR just has the 6 stack CD and probably the XRs you saw have premium audio....

3. The XR has the stiffest suspension of the lot (that and the GT). I am not sure if the SR has the upgraded suspension as you can option up on the rest of them, but even the upgrade is not as stiff as the XR or GT....so yes, it is different.

4. Venom is the older red, Vixen is their new red. Vixen is slightly more orange, brighter than Venom which is a true red. I dont like red personally, but the Vixen is quite nice - drove a T in Vixen. I much prefer Vixen to Venom but all that is just a matter of personal taste.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I recommend sunroof (but it costs), but do not recommend the interior or exterior protection - not for the money they want and the crap job they do of it. I recommend the premium audio - sounds heaps better than standard. You could also look at the luxury pack too - I wish they had that when I got mine!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 19:31   #4 (permalink)
Sex on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy blue
A few qstns if I may.

Cheers

Hi dude,

I only have 3 recommendations.

1. Go the XR over the SR anyday of the week. I believe the extra you pay will be well justified come resale time.

2. If you love your music, go the premium sound with the TFT screen. $1000 is peanuts when it comes to buying a $40,000 car. There are many people out there that spend more on their stereos than what their car is worth!!! CRAZY!! IMHO the $1000 premium system is more than enough for the discerning music junkie and it comes with a SUB and 150w amp. What more could you want. Unless you're deaf, you will never regret this essential upgrade.

3. While some argue paint technology has improved a lot, i would steer clear of any REDs. Their's something about that colour that seems to want to absorb 10 times more UV that any other. Paint fade is ugly.

Good luck and let us all know how you go. Remember not to get emotional about the purchase until after you sign on the dotted line.

Cheers,
Chris

Click here to see full size avatar....

Autos are for lazy drivers
GTPChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 21:59   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. Since the series 2 BA will be out soon??? what kinda deal do u believe I could strike? Under 40K with the premium sound (think want just stock car and sound extra, nothing else)? DO not trust card salesmena and this is going to be my first brand new car purchase, always bought cars a few years old.
Thanks
Cheers
NB
Old 05-15-2004, 22:06   #6 (permalink)
Sex on wheels

Why don't you make an offer now? $40k out the door. Who know's, you might surprise yourself by driving home in a sexy XR. :)

Chris

Click here to see full size avatar....

Autos are for lazy drivers
GTPChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 22:58   #7 (permalink)

Guess pay what I feel confortable with. Think anything over 40 is too much considering it only has premium sound, the rest stock. Just wondering what everyone else paid for a XR NA?
Old 05-16-2004, 00:02   #8 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Hey NB. Did you want a manual or auto? The current retail price for auto is $39 445 (which is most common) and manual $ 38 535. On roads are around $1700 and I think rego ($600ish) is on top of that, so think $2K plus for total on roads. Add $1000 for premium audio and you are looking at just over $42K if you wanna stay otherwise totally stock (ie, no rear electric windows). With the new series coming through later this year, you might find you can get a decent deal for one, especially if you buy off the floor. Also, dont forget it is a little bit extra for metallic/pearl paint (couple of hundred I think) but if you get red, no dramas.

I would suggest you could get an auto, with premium sound, in red, with on roads for around $38-$39K..... you also still have to insure it but you shouldnt pay more than around $600 but that could vary hugely depending on your age and suburb.

GTPChris is correct, go for the XR over the SR - looks better (although this is open to debate I guess), it handles better and it will have way better resale. Be a good idea to test drive both.

Re car salesmen, if you ask for a QUOTE and they give you the retail price, walk out the door - if they want your business, they will give you a decent quote. Go to a few dealers and play them off against each other - they dont like it but it works. And go to a dealer with a good rep - some of them suck. Just dont let them con you into any other stuff you dont really want - they try that on pretty hard!

Good luck!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 02:11   #9 (permalink)

Should pick up an SR for about $33,000 if you find the right dealer, these cars should be about the same price as an XT. For value id go the SR -> The XR is just as bad when it comes to resale, they are at the actions for $28,000 while an XT with the same kays and about the same age is bringing $25,000. Cars arent an investment, so buy what you like!

As for handling - you wont notice any difference, however the SR does have quieter road tyres and a little bit softer suspension, but overall the are pretty much identical in that department!

By the way youll probarly find the SR cheaper to insure as well, plus it still has the same features as the XR pretty much neways, less the colour coded door strips / mirrors and foglamps, but over a stock xr it has the better sound and rear power windows, plus they look different, im sick of seeing BA XR's now!!!!

If i could get an SR (I cant due to lease/government buyer deal) but I would seriously consider one over the XR, as long as I picked it up for about $33 / $34 grand! Its a bargin.
baxr6na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 03:55   #10 (permalink)

XRchic
Initailly after manual, but know want auto. I'm confused they initially quaoted me a touch over 44k for a red auto xr6 with premium, nothing else, I cannot get to the figure they quoted, doesn't matter not paying that anyway. Then come down to 40,900 approx without trying, have not pushed hard yet. I was hoping to get in the 38's. Regardng going to reputable dealers, I do not know one, if ne1 know some good reputable ones in Vic/Melb PM me (probably against the rules naming names here).

baxr6na
If i could get a SR for 33/34 I also would definately consider it, coz the XR is realy out of my budget, but what the heck. When I got a quote, they said 38 odd, and would not budge much at all. So they would have to come down a bit to interest me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons