Getting back behind the wheel after almost 4 weeks parked - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2004, 01:17   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Getting back behind the wheel after almost 4 weeks parked

As the topic suggests i've just gotten back from an extended business trip where I wish I had my BA XR6 Falcon (Southern California). Anyway... I get back into the car turn it over and starts first time, ripper! so I let it run for about 5 - 7 minutes at idle just to get the oil cycling around again (i'm just going for a short trip - about 2 km to pick up the pizza but more about that later) So I lift the bonnet and check the vitals, coolant - good, brake fluid - good, oil - good, clutch fluid - oh that looks empty, PS Fluid - good.

So I get behind the wheel *AHHH HOME AT LAST* stylish interior, sports steering wheel and seats that grip the bum!

Steering out of the apartment car part the wheel feels dead, first thing I thought tyres are flat from being still - hop out and nup they look fine!

Drive to the local garage (200metres down the road) and fill er up with optimax. And check the tyres, hmmm not low (lowest at 31 PSI) considering that the hoops are 18" - fill up to 36 psi anyway.

Going for a drive just to get things working in the car (about 30 minutes) mixture of freeway and streets. Seems to be okay but steering still feels flat. Funnily enough clutch/gearbox appears to be operating okay despite the low/empty fluid level.

So the question is - what could be causing the steering to be a 'dead feel' - or is the BA just like that and driving this yank car for the previous weeks actually had better feedback despite being the same sized and front wheel drive.

Also empty clutch fluid - no leaks on the garage floor! i guess i'll get service center to top it up :)

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2004, 19:11   #2 (permalink)
BA XR8 - yeehaaaaaa!!!

Re: Getting back behind the wheel after almost 4 weeks parked

Interestingly, my clutch fluid was at the min mark on the weekend (XR8). same as you, no leaks anywhere - strange. Anyway I topped it up with the correct fluid & all is well so far, but I will keep an eye on it & advise the dealer when it goes it for its 15k service (only at 6500 now). I wonder if this is a known issue - anyone else have this issue?
Old 04-05-2004, 21:35   #3 (permalink)
Bottle Feed Your Baby

the slave cylinder may have a leaking seal, oil catches in the rubber boot on the slave, and there apears to be mo leak, just a suggestion
Tighe custom grind camshaft, 75mm Throttle body, EGR Spacer, Head pocket work, 11.5 comp, SRP forged Flat tops, Autronic Computer, Pacemakers, twin Mandrel bent 2.5" Exhuast, custom mandrel bent 3" air intake, Tremac 3650, Lowered, 18"s Polished roll bar, intake Manifold, Shortend 4" alloy taillshaft, Leather, Momo wheel and gear nob, Autometer C2 5"shiftlight tacho, air fuel meter. 50-250hp NOS Kit, 4:11 Diff gears, 2 12" subs and sony amp,
NOS 347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 21:54   #4 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

I would put it down to different rates of steering between the cars, when my 4cyl cortina needed rebuilding motor wise, it had no p/s by the way, i drove my mums 302 fairlane 500 which had p/s for about a month, ah that was a fun time, despite the fuel bill being double, anyway after i got the corty running again, i used to just turn the wheels on the spot without even trying, i got back in it, and it felt like the wheels were full of lead to turn them, i thought how the hell did i ever drive this, but after a week, i was back in the groove of it, and the steering felt light and normal again.

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 17:47   #5 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXL Guy
Interestingly, my clutch fluid was at the min mark on the weekend (XR8). same as you, no leaks anywhere - strange. Anyway I topped it up with the correct fluid & all is well so far, but I will keep an eye on it & advise the dealer when it goes it for its 15k service (only at 6500 now). I wonder if this is a known issue - anyone else have this issue?
hehe don't I feel stupid at this point - lifted the cap off the clutch fluid container and low and behold its actually full - really slightly over full. Just the colour of the container and the light level I judged it at made it look empty!

* Gearbox (3rd time)
* etc...
Old 04-06-2004, 17:49   #6 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
I would put it down to different rates of steering between the cars, when my 4cyl cortina needed rebuilding motor wise, it had no p/s by the way, i drove my mums 302 fairlane 500 which had p/s for about a month, ah that was a fun time, despite the fuel bill being double, anyway after i got the corty running again, i used to just turn the wheels on the spot without even trying, i got back in it, and it felt like the wheels were full of lead to turn them, i thought how the hell did i ever drive this, but after a week, i was back in the groove of it, and the steering felt light and normal again.

Jason

Yeah perhaps thats it - its starting to 'feel' lighter so perhaps I just got used to the over assisted FWD yank tank. Though the feedback still feels massively muted in the BA now that i've driven something else. If I recall this is a common complaint in the car magazines.

* Gearbox (3rd time)
* etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons