handling upgrades? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2004, 05:38   #1 (permalink)

handling upgrades?

what type of front end/ steering/ suspension upgrades are around for XY or Xa,b,or xc are available to make the handling better.

i used to own a non power steering XD, and wouldn't mind it at least as good if not better, because this project will be my only non 4x4, i'd like something with looks and power (check and check) but something i can punt along some twisty roads, or up a mountain road, with a smile on the face
mada_3083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2004, 06:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: handling upgrades?

This would be the ultimate upgrade if you're willing to spend around 6 grand and your car will handle probably just as good as a BA.

http://www.rrs-online.com/html/products.htm

JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:31   #3 (permalink)

hmm 6 grand + power steering pump etc... then i gotta tie down the rear live axle

now i gotta decide whether i'll race it or keep it for cruising :)

what do people think about using some good brand A arms instead of the struts, and using the rack and penut (pinion) steering from them?
Old 06-22-2004, 18:17   #4 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

The A arms arn't that bad
rebuilding the lot is a good start.
Use urethane bush's on the UCA's /swaybar and rubber on the LCA's and strut rods's
Urethane is supposed to be to hard for the LCA/strut rod and can cause binding.
Replace the camber adjusters with ones that cant adjust themselves over time.
upgrade the front sway bar and springs
Losing a bit of ride height not all of it, will also help
The rack/pinion will make a big difference getting rid of flex /wear from the factory
setup.
Use urethane on the front leaf spring Bushes and rubber on the shackles
Use a correctly fitted panhard bar( it has to pass through the roll center of the car?)
Opinions any one? as this is also what i am plan to do myself and other than reinventing the wheel should be enough for a licenced road car.
302xm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 00:14   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I found I could keep up with a modded R32 skyline in my old XB through the hills @ 80-140kph. The only suspension mods were reasonable front tyres, lowered 2", nolethane "A" arm bushes, nolethane on the ends of the front stock sway bar, nolethane in the upper suspension arm, nolethane through-out the leaf springs and added 2 more leaf springs to the pack. I had 6 springs in the pack. Body roll? Nope.

I ran 16*8" rims too just incase.

I changed the front tyres as my front tyres failed due to camber bolt failure. Now it corners woeful. It goes straight and not around the corner. While I am drag racing thats fine but on the street it's annoying. So new tyres on the front are in order.

Brenden
Old 06-23-2004, 03:13   #6 (permalink)

i heard somewhere about using XD/XE or XF parts in the front end, maybe something to do with improves camber retention or something, anyone know what i'm rabbiting about?
Old 06-23-2004, 03:33   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

You can basically use XF parts though-out as they are the same. Supposedly the upper suspension arm is different (longer) but all I found is it was non-servicable in an XF. Where XB/C had grease nipples. Grease nipples are good for stopping that squeaky front end.

Brenden
Old 06-24-2004, 03:38   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302xm
The A arms arn't that bad
rebuilding the lot is a good start.
Use urethane bush's on the UCA's /swaybar and rubber on the LCA's and strut rods's
Urethane is supposed to be to hard for the LCA/strut rod and can cause binding.
Replace the camber adjusters with ones that cant adjust themselves over time.
upgrade the front sway bar and springs
Losing a bit of ride height not all of it, will also help
The rack/pinion will make a big difference getting rid of flex /wear from the factory
setup.
Use urethane on the front leaf spring Bushes and rubber on the shackles
Use a correctly fitted panhard bar( it has to pass through the roll center of the car?)
Opinions any one? as this is also what i am plan to do myself and other than reinventing the wheel should be enough for a licenced road car.
I agree on most of your points here 302 xm but i have heard of cases where people have installed nolathane bushings everywhere in the front and then reverted back to the original rubber because the ride was just too harsh.I am in the process of doing my front suspension and here is what i have been told. Firstly ,lowering your upper control arm mounting points by one inch is a worthwhile mod and costs nothing if you do it yourself.Secondly ,i am using xc upper control arms in my xr.The RRS option looks the goods here but alas my chequebook is not that healthy.I have opted to use the standard setup albeit somewhat modified and have been assured it will work great.As for the steering the original setup has been binned and the rack and pinion from RRs is definately on the cards here.The original setup is just too sloppy for my liking.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 03:48   #9 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I changed the front tyres as my front tyres failed due to camber bolt failure. Now it corners woeful. It goes straight and not around the corner. While I am drag racing thats fine but on the street it's annoying. So new tyres on the front are in order.

Brenden
Use a fine threaded camber bolt, with nice tight fitting cams.
Then tack weld them in place when you have it aligned properly.
That's the only way I ever had them stay in place when I peddled the car hard.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:47   #10 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

russxr67 makes a good point with regards to lowering the upper control arms 1". This is what Shelby did to his Mustang in the 60's.
If you feel like reading a comprehensive tech article on the matter click here

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons