Has my Fairlane got adjustable suspension? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2005, 04:44   #1 (permalink)

Has my Fairlane got adjustable suspension?

Hi all,

I recently bought an NC Fairlane and I noticed in the boot on the side there is a thing like a tyre valve with a piece of pipe on it going down the side behind the plastic. I was wondering whether this would point to suspension you can raise and lower as you please.

Also, the car has yellow springs and blue shockies; which makes me think the suspension has been changed at some point. (Possibly to add the adjustable ones?)

Anyone got any more info on these sorts of things?

Cheers,

FordGT19
fordgt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2005, 05:10   #2 (permalink)
old B - new B

Re: Has my Fairlane got adjustable suspension?

that would sound like it has had air shocks fitted.
if you can get under the car you should be able to see the pipe from the valve going into the side of each shocky.

these are used to lift the car when you are towing something heavy like a caravan, etc .
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:26   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351cid
that would sound like it has had air shocks fitted.
if you can get under the car you should be able to see the pipe from the valve going into the side of each shocky.

these are used to lift the car when you are towing something heavy like a caravan, etc .
Yeah, I'll have a look the next time I get it out of the shed. It probably would have been put on for towing as it has a heavy duty towbar; the ones that you can take off completely and you just have the square hole left for it to fit into.

Is it possible for me to lower the back of the car by letting some air out of the suspension? What sort of compressor do you use to get it back up again? Is a normal tyre pump enough?

Thanks,
FordGT19
Old 09-05-2005, 05:31   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

It originally come with computer controlled self levelling suspension. It sounds like the compressor failed and the owner replaced it with the valve. The factory monroe shocks are also air adjustable with a compressor inside the guard in front of the RH front wheel (you can see it by looking inside the right front wheel well) and a computer with a link to the diff that determines the ride hieght and the need to turn on the compressor or release air from a valve under the battery as required.
Old 09-05-2005, 15:48   #5 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Most of the time the shocks fail first and then people put in non adjustable shocks.
I guess your car was used to tow alot!

I wouldn't say it's a bad thing. But it's not as cool as SLS... :D
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 01:11   #6 (permalink)

I had one of those fairlanes a couple of years ago and yes i had trouble with the suspension the compressor stayed on one day on a trip..the internal alarm would chime every few seconds had to pull out the fuse on the system before i had a family mutiny ...ended up trading it in on my current XR..It was a classy looking car but.
XR8ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:02   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgt19
Hi all,

I recently bought an NC Fairlane and I noticed in the boot on the side there is a thing like a tyre valve with a piece of pipe on it going down the side behind the plastic. I was wondering whether this would point to suspension you can raise and lower as you please.

Also, the car has yellow springs and blue shockies; which makes me think the suspension has been changed at some point. (Possibly to add the adjustable ones?)

Anyone got any more info on these sorts of things?

Cheers,

FordGT19
yeah they are air shocks (you should have 2 valves one for each side)ive got them in my 6cly nc.
max pressure is about 70psi regardeing springs they would be king springs.
is it 6 or 8 just outa curiosity.
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:20   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC 5ltr
yeah they are air shocks (you should have 2 valves one for each side)ive got them in my 6cly nc.
max pressure is about 70psi regardeing springs they would be king springs.
is it 6 or 8 just outa curiosity.
Yup, it's an 8:)

I might see if I can let some air out of it on the weekend. Should look good lowered a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons