Has your BA (manual) stalled while driving? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2004, 23:44   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Has your BA (manual) stalled while driving?

Now I got to experience something which scared the crap out of me.

Driving in a straight segment of road, 2nd gear got to about 40km/h and then eased off due to traffic slowly shifted out of 2nd and reached for 3rd but noticed that there was no engine rev's (audiably noticed this). Looked at the tacho, nup flat as a tack - oil light on and battery light on. Hmm rolling along at 40km/h put it into netural, started the car and it turned over first time put it back into second and not a problem.

However during this time the steering got heavy (wouldn't have been able to manuveur) and braking would have been next to nothing. I was very lucky that the car in front didn't brake suddenly or make a right hand turn in front of me.

Now going on the fact that my car is stock as a rock and it fired first time i figured it wasn't an electrical issue. It wasn't (i'm assuming) a fuel supply issue or oil issue as I had a full load after my car just had its 30,000km service and just filled up (about a day ago).

I'm guessing by the way the engine 'just died' that it was electronic - either ecu or throttle body. I'm beginning to think it was the latter. I figure this could be the case because while i've got a BA XR6 N/A my partner has a BA XR8 and it has done it more than once with her car.

Has anyone else had this problem and had it resolved (or at least not had its ugly head reared again)? Basically had I had an accident, and injured someone, the law suit would point at Ford Motor Company Australia due to a faulty componentry, not my driving (lack of power assistance would reduce ability for the car to function). Thus I think this is a DAMN serious safety issue. However I don't want to take it to a service center for them to say;

"We connected to the computer and there were no fault codes, but we re-flashed it with the latest code anyway".

I don't know how to reproduce it, however it seems that ~40km/h is the common factor between my car and the XR8 as well as the throttle body (as the ECU is different on the two cars, not to mention engine and other differences).

Let me just re-state that the engine 'just died' there was no splutter, no coughing, no bunny-hopping, 'just died'. So silently that I had to check a few times to make sure.

So the question is - anyone else?

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2004, 00:17   #2 (permalink)
Abuser of Charvels

Re: Has your BA (manual) stalled while driving?

Mine stalled once for no reason a couple of weeks after I got it, I was going very slow at the time. This is a bit of an issue with BA's which I'm not sure they've fixed. Mine hasn't stalled since but did have a throttle problem where they replaced a part.

Venom BA XR8 - 5spd - Leather - Premium Sound - 18"s - King Springs-SSL/SL - DBA Slotted Rotors & Ferodo pads
D.N.A.
FPV XR Owners Club ACT
Charvel/Jackson Guitars
Genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 01:37   #3 (permalink)

Sounds a bit scary. I was driving my mums car once, pulled out from a stop sign and the bloody thing stalled. Cars coming from both directions and me sitting in the middle of the road aint fun!!

But your brakes would still have a couple of pumps left in it, so if you stabbed it you would of stopped pretty quick.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:47   #4 (permalink)
My Neck Hurts....

Yep, a few of us have had this problem. It's been getting better after each reflash of the ECU.

I haven't had a reflash for about 12000km now, and as it's only done it twice in that time (I had it flashed at 3000, 11000 and 15000), I wasn't prompted to get it flashed again. Someone here mentioned that the current flash has solved most peoples problems.

Mind you, I just checked the oil, and she's bone dry again, so I think I have the oil-usage issue in mine. I thought the first dry-up at 11000km might have been because of run-in usage, and it didn't seem to use any up to 15000, so this time around it's a bit of a worry. And the fact I raised the issue at 11000 (It's now at 27000) means I hope they won't fob it off again.

Lucky I checked.....maybe the oil is leaking out of the diff housing. It's left a puddle in my garage under the rear. But that may have been because the drive-shaft yoke bolts hadn't been tensioned up properly - explaining that loud metallic 'chink' I kept hearing whenever I took off at the lights, or reversed up a hill.

It's lucky it's such a nice car to drive and look at, otherwise I could see myself being rather miffed....

Lukeyson
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 05:12   #5 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

There has been a thread or two on this subject check this, might help.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=47971&highlight=xr8+stalling<o:p></o:p>

http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=40890&highlight=xr8+stalling<o:p></o:p>

http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=60064&highlight=xr8+stalling<o:p></o:p>

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons