Headlight treatments in XT/Futura/Fairmont/Fairmont Ghia? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2003, 06:23   #1 (permalink)

Headlight treatments in XT/Futura/Fairmont/Fairmont Ghia?

Does anyone know what models the different headlight treatments are applied to in the BA Falcon/Fairmont range? It looks like all XTs have black surrounds for the twin headlights, whereas the Futura has no colouring (strange because the black looks better). I thought that the Fairmont and Fairmont Ghia both had the black surrounds too, but I saw a Fairmont today with no colouring. I haven't figured out what they're doing and was wondering if anyone knew. Personally it seems strange to have the (better looking) black surround on the base model. Also, are there any other differences in the non-XR headlights?

Thanks
wrenfrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2003, 16:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: Headlight treatments in XT/Futura/Fairmont/Fairmont Ghia?

Thanks for that. Do you know if there are any other differences in the headlights from model to model (apart from the obvious one that XRs have the rounded bottom edges)?
wrenfrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 22:27   #3 (permalink)
More horsepower required

They are all the same lense except for the chrome metalised bezel .
The Xr's are different again as they are a black bezel with chrome ring and the different lense.

Last edited by Fordhead; 10-05-2003 at 22:47.
Fordhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 21:57   #4 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

I would hope they would let you have whichever type you wanted as a no-cost option
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 04:46   #5 (permalink)

I agree that black backing looks better than the chrome as well. The way they structured it is a bit odd.
P'cisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 07:13   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'cisT
I agree that black backing looks better than the chrome as well. The way they structured it is a bit odd.

From what I have read the thinking was:
Futura/Fairmont = Luxury

You'll notice they have the same headlight treatment and both sport a bit of chrome.

XR/Fairmont Ghia = Sport

The XT was the bonus in the program, because they didnt want it to look like a poor mans Futura, but rather something special on it's own, so it was given the XT name and black treatment on the headlights, to suggest a DNA link to the XR range. Wether people have picked up on that subtle link is open to question, but I did read it in some Ford gumph I found on the web. Sales reps/Dads family XR I guess was the thinking.

Of all the models I think the base car benefited the most when Ford released the BA range. I guess I should be glad since the XR8 I own is built up from the XT specs. Just wish I had a rear arm rest!

Daniel
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 19:27   #7 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

XTS220 I only meant a choice between black or chrome surround, not XR. XR do look heaps better, but you’re right of course you wouldn’t get them on other models. I reckon the XT/Ghia lights look ok though & if I was buying a Fairmont or Futura I would want these lights & I don’t see the distinction described above as being important enough to override a customer’s personal preference.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 19:27   #8 (permalink)
....but i don't wanna go

The other link between the XR range the the XT is the fact that you can option a manual gearbox and the Barra 220 V8 on the Falcon XT, something that you cannot do on a Futura.
lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons