Help with this chassis plate, please! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2004, 16:38   #1 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Help with this chassis plate, please!

OK, time for a bit of a pop quiz..!

Here we have a picture of a chassis plate. The car, as you can see, is a June 1977 Ford ZH Marquis, hailing from the Broadmeadows plant. You can even tell that it had a 351 (T engine code), column shift FMX (R trans code) and the paint and interior I forget the exact description, but let's call them blue, which is close enough. Oh, and seating for 6 (bench seats).

Now, here's the start of the quiz. I have 2 questions:

1. Why are the plates the wrong way around? They don't appear to have ever been moved and yet every other XC/ZH plate I've seen has them around the other way...
2. Where's ADR 27A, then? This is a June 77 car, remember, so should have this ADR code, but it's not stamped there. To add to the confusion, it did have a carbon canister and other 27A emissions gear, before we pulled the engine out.

Can anyone help? Sorry it's not the highest res photo of all time, but it's all I took, so I'm stuck with it!
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2004, 16:43   #2 (permalink)
Proudly Average

Re: Help with this chassis plate, please!

My guess is that it MAY have been an NZ delivered car - they didn't have ADR27A-type rules until the mid 90's (EB XR8 with no cats, anyone?). Although Christ knows why you'd import a ZH from NZ to AU.

I could also be wrong.
.020 over 351 Clevo, 10:1 comp, ported 302 heads, blueprinted and balanced, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake, 600 Holley, K&N air filter, Custom Zip-Ties(tm), MSD ignition, Genie extractors, 2 x 2.5" exhaust, 2800rpm stally, rooted C4
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 16:44   #3 (permalink)

ADR-27A only came into effect from July 1977.. so technically yours doesnt need to comply with it but as it was built in June it has all of the ADR27A gear on it as Ford would have been getting ready for july when all cars had to be built to comply.
Old 11-07-2004, 16:50   #4 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
ADR-27A only came into effect from July 1977.. so technically yours doesnt need to comply with it but as it was built in June it has all of the ADR27A gear on it as Ford would have been getting ready for july when all cars had to be built to comply.
OK, but my 02-77 built ZH has ADR 27A stamped on it, as does GreenMachine's 01-77 Marquis, so I'd be surprised if that's the reason. After all, why have the plates stamped with ADR 27A early in the year, only to not stamp them just before it comes into force?
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 16:54   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
OK, but my 02-77 built ZH has ADR 27A stamped on it, as does GreenMachine's 01-77 Marquis, so I'd be surprised if that's the reason. After all, why have the plates stamped with ADR 27A early in the year, only to not stamp them just before it comes into force?
i got the dates mixed up... ADR-27A came in in July 1976 so yours should have it stamped... i have no idea why it wouldnt be though
Old 11-07-2004, 22:24   #6 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

i reckon it's a monday or friday car.

if it's monday then the bloke putting the plates on is still recovering from the huge saturday night/ sunday morning where he picked up two .................

or if it's friday then he dosn't give a $hit because he's going out saturday night to pick up two..............
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 22:56   #7 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Look on the bright side, if its not stamped, you can do a lot more mods legally :)
Old 11-07-2004, 23:11   #8 (permalink)
gone to DOT AU

Think that you are most likely correct with the monday/friday sinaro as i found out with my 80 model cortina(ex boss car) has full matching 80 XD FALCON compliance ??? or first MINI XD , LOL
stewyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 00:00   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Maybe my eyesight is shot, but I can't even see ADR27?

Lucky bastard!
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 00:30   #10 (permalink)

The ADR 27a info comes as a sticker. Usually stuck on the firewall but can be found on the plastic panel infront of the radiator on ZHs. It says "this vehicle was manufactured to comply with ADR 27a" blah blah. It will be yellow on a 351 and sliver on a 302.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons