help on EF GLI- are these are good model, reliable etc??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2003, 14:32   #1 (permalink)

help on EF GLI- are these are good model, reliable etc???

hey, im looken at buying a EF falcon, GLI, just a base model, im not after anything real flash, just a comfortable reliable car. its red, with xr6 spoiler & mags, tinted windows and alpine cd player. i got him down 2 $7000, is this a good price, its down a little over 200,000 k's.

its a country car and has done the ks ostly from long distance travelling he said. bought it for his daughter, but shes too short, and cant park it he rekons, so yeah (he works for parts div. at my local ford dealer)

anyhow, the a/c compressor makes a noise, and he said the disc rotors will need replacing soon, however they didint shudder when i drove it like he said.

umm, yeah, but he said its had fulkl service history etc etc, its nie and all, but are EF's prone to any major problems, heads going, trannys etc etc????

ive finally found a ford forum, so hopefully some of you guys and help me out, as i like fords, but hear mixed results. i heard that EF were shit, and had major head probs, but i thought that was EA????

anyway, hope you can help me out, cheers, nick

p.s im from Mildura, Vic
yellowblazeXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2003, 14:57   #2 (permalink)

Re: help on EF GLI- are these are good model, reliable etc???

I've got an EF II GLi, got it with 107,000km's on it, its just ticked over 150,000km's and the head gaskets gone just now, car drives fine but its just loosing coolant, that'll get fixed soon.
nothing else on the car has been touched repairs wise, in the past year its been a great car to own and i'm very happy with it.
the only main problems i know of are that the head gasket can go if the cooling system isnt looked after, and the transmission can be prone to problems if its not kept in good order, my trans is fine at this stage so i'm not worried.
my a/c used to make a whistling noise when i got the car, but it was just the a/c needing a re-gas.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 16:14   #3 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

Thumbs up Re: help on EF GLI- are these are good model, reliable etc???

I got EL-GLi 6 (basically same) and so has my dad. Had had threm both since new-ish.

In the two cars (one with 140,000 one with over 200 we have had one tranny with solenoid probs at 100,000 (wouldnt select 4th when cold) warantee fix. Umm relaced a thermostat and , new exhaust in the 200,000.
Replaced a waterpump in the low milage one, the other ones pump seems noisy,but has been like that for ever.

seem to be putting rotors in em farely regualrly (i think i need light weight shoes). Have heard they can develop head gasket probs around 150,000, but no worries here.

Ohh the stereo speakers in one are had it (i need my ears syringed)

yep pretty minor. a combined about 10 years of trouble free driving.
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 16:37   #4 (permalink)
Ghiad Up

The head problems are easily solved if you flush at the appropriate intervals, and DEFINETLEY get the radiator taken apart every 2 yrs or less and cleaned properly. The problem stems from Ford casting the blocks in sand and not getting all of it out, clogs cores, and also crap coolant. Mine was also serviced to the letter by a Ford dealer before I got it, and the radiator was still half clogged with sand and crap. Service the tranny at least every 50 000, and get it flushed as well, a normal service will only take 4 out of the 10 litres of fliud in tranny out, the remianing 7 litres will pollute your new oil very quickly . Mine (EF2 GHIA) has just clocked up 150 000, and no problems yet. As for the rotors, get a softer pad, do a search on here, there is plenty of info on discs and good pads.
bowsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 19:17   #5 (permalink)

yeah, the guy said to make sure i looked after the coolant, which i think he emphasised he did (or his mate who was the previous owner anyway)
2 local mechanics have told me they r buckets of shit, and not to get one, and to expect to pay 3 grand or so on a new head and trans. so does it all boil down to proper maintenance???

thanks all, nick
Old 12-07-2003, 20:02   #6 (permalink)
Ghiad Up

Certainly does, every model car has its quirks but these can be minimised by proper and regular maintance. Has the radiator been apart and cleaned properly, as in someone like Natrad doing it? If not I would get it done straight away if you buy it.
Old 12-07-2003, 20:16   #7 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowblazeXB
2 local mechanics have told me they r buckets of shit, and not to get one, and to expect to pay 3 grand or so on a new head and trans.
Well no 8 year old car is going to be 100% problem free, but I know which two mechanics I WOULDNT be taking my Falcon too.

I would say they would about be one of the cheapest (to own) and most robust and reliable cars you could buy for the money. Also comfortable, good looking, powerful nice to drive, and roomy and can ferry a family day after day, and still have the occasional bit of a hoon when the time and place is right.

Even when, like any old car they do break, parts are cheap and any mechanic can fix em. Have a look at the taxis with nearly a million on the clock.... Wouldnt fancy traying that in a Commy, Magna or Camry.
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 20:31   #8 (permalink)
Ghiad Up

To right, more room and power than any of the other popular sixes.
Old 12-07-2003, 23:54   #9 (permalink)

yeah, and the mecahnics would only ever see the bad ones!
if i did get it i would get the radiator cleane dout as u said bowsaw, also what do i specifically ask for at the tranny joint to get the full service you mentioned?

but yeah they r th best looken car i rekon, for the year it is. the only newish fords i like are EF/L and BA really!

thanks, nick
Old 12-08-2003, 00:29   #10 (permalink)
Ghiad Up

Ask for a full flush, not just a service. Usually they end up running about 30 or 40 litres thru the tranny to get all the old crap out, the old stuff sits in the converter which is why it wont drain out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons