HELP (May have prob with BA XR8) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2003, 07:07   #1 (permalink)

HELP (May have prob with BA XR8)

Hey all,

well, driving the new car has been quite a pleasure and all my mates always want to have a look under the hood! And as always, I'm happy to oblige hehehe...

till today, when I opened the bonnet, there was a spray of something... its was dry on the entire engine... where its says BOSS 260, on the engine behind the fan belt, on the bonnet itself... its seemed like a white residue of some sort! can anyone have a guess what it could be leaking?!!

Also, from time to time, when I turn on the airconditioning or simply close the vents, a really FOUL smell occupies the car... cant understand what is causing this!! its spoiling an otherwise great ride for me!!!

Thanks...

Kieran.
BA XR8 Manual, BluePrint, Momo Steering, Momo Shifter, Leather, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Premium Brakes, 20" X 8.5" HP Hekitk Wheels. Herrod Lowering Springs and Chip, Brad Garlic Reprogramme, NO REAR SPOILER.
Kawasaki ZX 10R, Lime Green. 0-100kms/hr 2.8 sec, 0-160kms/hr in under 5.5 sec. 0-400m 9.4 sec. First gear sees you to 185kms/hr. THE CHAMP IS HERE!
Kypez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2003, 13:14   #2 (permalink)

baxr6

Drop into the dealer immediately for the white powder one, any dealer will do, as for the foul smell, if it is very plastic smell it goes after about a month, it is just part of the pain of a new car.
baxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 14:07   #3 (permalink)

White stuff, powdery, probably coolant. As for the smell I'm kinda betting that it is the coolant drying into the powder. Either way go to the dealer it's thier problem.
SRV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 14:49   #4 (permalink)

White powder - Anthrax?! /jkg

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 15:58   #5 (permalink)
Ford Falcon-proud history

Foul smell could be condensation in the AC plumbing, When you run AC in cold mode for quite a while and then park the car, the cold components can, in the right conditions, collect some condensation (epecially in re-circ mode). Try turning off the AC as you approach your destination, and possibly going to 'fresh' air mode as well at the same time.. Though this is usually only an issue with older vehicles.... After all of that .......... I agree get it serviced.

668 - The neighbour of the Beast.
CameronW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 17:18   #6 (permalink)

just dropped it off at ford... they white residue is certainly coolant!they think its come as a result of one of 3 things... Water pump, the actual radiator leaking or its blown compression... its getting a compression test as I type this...

Also, the guy said that the aircon smell is "normal"... he said that in new cars the smell comes from certain components (ie ducts, etc) that are used on new cars... but for $88 they can treat the aircon to remove any trace of the smell... and this has to be done once every 6 months... sounds like a scam?! I'd expect all that standard on a car that costs $50,000!

All in all, I'm not happy with all this... waiting for the call to see what the final deal is... Its under warrenty, but I dont like all this hassel with a car that is less than 4 weeks old!

will post what they say as soon as I hear from them...
BA XR8 Manual, BluePrint, Momo Steering, Momo Shifter, Leather, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Premium Brakes, 20" X 8.5" HP Hekitk Wheels. Herrod Lowering Springs and Chip, Brad Garlic Reprogramme, NO REAR SPOILER.
Kawasaki ZX 10R, Lime Green. 0-100kms/hr 2.8 sec, 0-160kms/hr in under 5.5 sec. 0-400m 9.4 sec. First gear sees you to 185kms/hr. THE CHAMP IS HERE!
Old 04-03-2003, 02:57   #7 (permalink)

You can get special sprays to treat the aircon yourself for a lot less..I think BOC gases do one and have seen another on sale at big W..It is simply sprayed at the air intake under the dash with the a/c on recirc..It is a disinfectant type stuff to kill any germs within the system..
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:22   #8 (permalink)

ok... got the car back! what is with ford dealers... why do they always tell you the worst even when it's under warrenty!! It was just a hose that wasnt tightend proporly and had come slightly loose...!!! done!!

This is the second time this has happened with this dealer... last time, the pedal clip for the clutch in my eb snapped... just needed a $2 clip and I just asked the service manager, and he said (without seeing the car) that I'd have to replace the entire pedal box cause he reckoned that it was broken and cause the clip to snap off!! Glad I know a little about cars!!!

Oh well... atleast all is well with the car...

Thanks gregaust... will look for it next time I'm at Auto one or the shopping centre...

Thanks for the replies!

Cheers.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:41   #9 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Glen20 works at around $7 per can. A can should last you about 12 months, using it once a month. I spray it in the air con whenver i wash/vacuum the car. Keeps the car smelling 'Fresh'.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 17:30   #10 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Quote:
Originally posted by Kypez
ok... got the car back! what is with ford dealers... why do they always tell you the worst even when it's under warrenty!! It was just a hose that wasnt tightend proporly and had come slightly loose...!!! done!!

Cheers.
I wouldnt be ímpressed about that. Supposedly Dealer Delivery that you pay $1000+ for should have picked up a loose hose.

On the A/C smell, Fabreeze is a good old cure for many smells, not sure if it will kill new plastic smell though.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons