Well, all those awesome e-series cars I saw on the GOR cruise has made me want to do something about my stockie. Problem is, I can't decide whether to just go out and buy a newer car (Something EL-ish) or to spend my cash on the EA.
Theoretically, I know that the EA would be cheaper to do up. But in the end, it'll still be an EA, and it'll still sell for peanuts, despite the cash I throw at it.
So, I've come up with some pros/cons of buying a new car vs. doing up the EA.
KEEP THE EA:
Things I'd Def. like to do to it: Manual conversion, Straight Gas install, lowered, wheels, exhaust/headers, <insert other performance stuff I can't think of right now>, NOT turbo (I value my cheap insurance)
- I know the car, it's pretty good mechanically
- Really low k's (for an EA, 185000)
- Theoretically cheaper overall (if nothing goes insanely wrong)
- I have the oppertunity to learn more about my car
- It's old
- I've had few problems with it, which probably means lots of things will go wrong.
- I have neither the time nor the knowledge or equipment to do mods myself.
- You people will be hearing more from me when things go wrong
- It's CFI
- Modding it might make it break :(
BUY A NEW CAR:
I'd really really like an EF/EL XR6 - but that's just dreaming. I'd be quite happy with anything of that era that's manual and on gas.
- Newer car, all the good stuff that comes with that (better interior, more power etc.) hopefully less problems.
- Possibly a better base to start mods on.
- I'd be in debt, I'd have to take out a loan to get a new car. (max $9k tho, I'd have it payed off in 6 months. I'm on a fixed term contract @ work that expires in 6 months, then its back to Uni and some dodgy coles job or something)
- I wouldn't have worked on the car myself
- Chance of buying a dud.
So - what I want from you guys is your opinion on a few things.
- What should I do (keep the EA, or buy something else)
- If I keep the EA - what mods should I look at (and ballpark $$)
- If I buy something else, what should I look for (and where should I look)