Help me identify this "Factory" Turbo ZL f'lane - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2004, 17:40   #1 (permalink)

Question Help me identify this "Factory" Turbo ZL f'lane

I bought a ZL fairlane "factory turbo" with a build date of 10/1984. I was told it was a factory job, a proto-type only released to Ford executives and that there was only about 17 of them.

Now i don't know if that is BS or not and i'm not certain if its a ford thing or a VERY NEAT after maket job. But the early build date of the car would support the argument that it was a prototype and the general quality of the components is top notch (nothing looks bodgy).

As they say a picture is worth a thousand words but i haven't been able to borrow the digital camera as yet. To try and describe it I can tell you that its a normal looking EFI motor, not intercooled and the throttle body with 2 extra injectors are mounted to the inlet of the turbo with the air-flow meter sitting on the passengers side of the engine bay with a large cross-over pipe to the turbo inlet.

Basics of the "kit": upgraded BOSCH 086 injectors, 2x extra injectors and micro-fueller, decompressed by a sandwich plate, Garret TO4 with 1.06 AR housing, suspected to be 0.5 comp cover (can't quite see). Fully cast exhuast manifold (long runners) with integral wastegate (ie: the wastegate is in the manifold not the turbo). Cast dump-pipe (kinda flat/oval shaped) with V-band fittings. Special sump. Custom oil cooler sitting in front of the passengers side front wheel. A few other goodies like heat shielding and it has two aluminium bonnet vents.

I'd be glad to hear from anyone who knows anything about this car/set up. Any history or info would be greatly appreciated. ESPECIALLY THE POWER FIGURES!!!

Last edited by aaron_hogan; 01-04-2004 at 18:05.
aaron_hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2004, 20:05   #2 (permalink)
Proudly Average

Re: Help me identify this "Factory" Turbo ZL f'lane

I know of a really neat ZL turbo up here matching that description. It looked factory, but I just assumed it was a very, very tidy aftermarket job. Never drove it, but the car absolutely hammered. It was driven by a guy who used to work in my building.
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 20:10   #3 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

From your system description it sounds 99% like the AIT setup (Advanced Induction Technologies). Do a search for these kits and see if it looks the same. I'd almost put money on it.

The AIT kits were available in a few different power levels as well.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 20:34   #4 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

The AIT setup looked factory, heres a pic of one in an XF -

Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 15:26   #5 (permalink)

Ok here are the pics!

Decide for yourself but it doesn't look at all like the one Kieron posted.
There's no separate compliance plate just for the turbo but maybe somebody who knows their codes can decipher this build plate.
aaron_hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 15:42   #6 (permalink)
Proudly Average

Looks exactly the same as the ZL turbo I've seen, apart from those bonnet vents... nice neat setup
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 19:29   #7 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

wow thats cool...it must be rare as Ive cerrtainly never heard of any such concpet...nice pick up. Now all you need to do is pretty it up :-)

How does it go?

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 19:55   #8 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

The only other semi factory turbo job I have heard of is Dick Johnsons. From memory DJ submitted the setup to Ford but it didn't go anywhere but he did sell a few aftermarket, he had a yellow XE as a test mule and the cars he sold where true blue XE's with DJ's signature in gold on the side.

From the pics, it doesn't look like factory, to me the wiring gives it away, spade/bullet connectors and tapped into the factory wiring looms + use of one colour for the wiring.

I'd say decent aftermarket using EFI motor (standard in the 'Lane) for inlet plenum/runners, custom adaptor from plenum - turbo and possibly the factory EFI TB relocated in front of the blower.

I'd send the pics to DJR to see if they recognise it Aaron.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 15:15   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron
The only other semi factory turbo job I have heard of is Dick Johnsons. From memory DJ submitted the setup to Ford but it didn't go anywhere but he did sell a few aftermarket, he had a yellow XE as a test mule and the cars he sold where true blue XE's with DJ's signature in gold on the side.

From the pics, it doesn't look like factory, to me the wiring gives it away, spade/bullet connectors and tapped into the factory wiring looms + use of one colour for the wiring.

I'd say decent aftermarket using EFI motor (standard in the 'Lane) for inlet plenum/runners, custom adaptor from plenum - turbo and possibly the factory EFI TB relocated in front of the blower.

I'd send the pics to DJR to see if they recognise it Aaron.
I have seen prototype ford cars and I agree it looks aftermarket the connectors into the injectors wouldnt have been done like that by ford even on a prototype they would have cut up an injector loom and used the connectors/wires from that.
Old 01-07-2004, 17:03   #10 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf

i agree with ap here, ait, got cars delivered to them direct, then ait would fit the turbo system, fully adr and emmisions complied, they were like a a tickford but back in the 80's when the world was ga ga crazy, over turbo's

they also carried over into the ea falcons..

dick johnson also came up with turbo xd/xe/xf's but their fate was sealed by the fact that ford aust. didnt want to support it due to hot weather testing failures.... this was also the case for the ea turbo developed by ait and svo along with help from avo turbo world.

the ea turbo was to come out with the ea's as a sports model, but again failed in hot weather testing. this explains why the falcon ohc engine just loves boost (even in a standard engine).

kieron- that xf pictured was a protoype done by a group in melbourne, it was 4wd, and twin turbo'd.

they made 2 demo's.. dont cant remember where one was taken to, but the other one was written off by a jurno, in england on a wet, gravel road.

cheers.joe.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!

Last edited by gm dstroya; 01-07-2004 at 17:52.
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons