Ford Forums banner

Help me make my XF that little bit nicer please!!!

4K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  rigidshovel 
#1 ·
hey everone, i have an 87 s pak falcon. im 17 and yeah am taking a year off after skool before uni. its my parents old car so yeah doesnt have anything different with it other than a huge ass bullbar im gunna take off and "old people" type seat covers lol. ive been thinking i would ask the pro's what i can do to make my car that little bit nicer without spending shitloads, kos im not made of money lol. so far all ive been workin on is the sound system, i have a pioneer head unit, two 6 1/2 inch speakers in the parcel shelf and two in the front doors (anyone notice u cant really use spaces kos the window handles sit so low u cant turn them if u use spaces??) and shortly to have subs in the boot. but yeah i thought i would get any ideas and advice as to what i can do to make it that little bit nicer. i was thinkin of gettin some awesome seat covers, a set of neons even tho the cops are strict as hell on them here ill still get them. but yeah all thoughts are welcome please!!!!!

#2 ·
Well, your stereo sounds nice but won't make your car look nicer, if you know what I mean, lol...and the seat covers and neons? A stock XF isn't going to benefit from seat covers alone, and neons are just not a good idea unless you're planning on entering your car in Fast and the Furious 3 or something.

To make your car look good first get a set of wheels that look good that you can afford, then lower it with aftermarket springs and shocks. A bit of window tint won't go astray and viola!, a good lookin' XF. Most cars will benefit from wheels, lowering and tint, it helps a lot.

Vic

#3 ·
What Genebaby said plus a new exhaust, 2.5 is best and maybe some extractors. These will give you a bit more grunt and a nice exhaust note as well. Other than that, just look at the car and neaten up anything you think needs it. Maybe if you post some pics we can offer some suggestions? Colour coding on door handles etc looks great. Definately no neons or anything, turning a nice Ford into a Ricer is a crime!

#6 ·
xf_dude said:
hey everone, i have an 87 s pak falcon. im 17 and yeah am taking a year off after skool before uni. its my parents old car so yeah doesnt have anything different with it other than a huge ass bullbar im gunna take off and "old people" type seat covers lol. ive been thinking i would ask the pro's what i can do to make my car that little bit nicer without spending shitloads, kos im not made of money lol. so far all ive been workin on is the sound system, i have a pioneer head unit, two 6 1/2 inch speakers in the parcel shelf and two in the front doors (anyone notice u cant really use spaces kos the window handles sit so low u cant turn them if u use spaces??) and shortly to have subs in the boot. but yeah i thought i would get any ideas and advice as to what i can do to make it that little bit nicer. i was thinkin of gettin some awesome seat covers, a set of neons even tho the cops are strict as hell on them here ill still get them. but yeah all thoughts are welcome please!!!!!
Mate go back to SKOOL and learn to spell KOS u needs to !!!!!!

#7 ·
shane3 said:
Mate go back to SKOOL and learn to spell KOS u needs to !!!!!!
hey pal he asked for advice not a spelling lesson. give the young bloke ago. not everyone has money to burn from a inheritance or a compo payout.

xf dude go with what blackout suggested. you can't go wrong with those sort of mods to bring any ford up to scratch. good luck with it mate.

#8 ·
thanks everyone, how much does window tinting cost these days kos ive been thinkin bout it for a while...and shane, get over urself i was only askin for assistance not a spelling lesson, ive happily graduated and am heading to uni next year and can spell better than most, but my years of messenger have caused me to adopt the letter 'k' into most places 'c' usually lays lol. but yeah my mother has a mate thats a mechanic, so yeah i can get stuff done for a bit cheaper, but yeah i was thinkin bout gettin a tint and some nice wheels or somethin

#9 ·
i think around $300 for the tint.

shane3; that was really unneccesary.

a set of EL XR wheels in 16" would suit an XF for a max price of around $800.

Or snowflakes if yer huge into wheels etc.

Might be good to invest in getting the XG/XH XR lights fitted to front, they always look killer on XF's..

other than that, most of it has already been said

#10 ·
what colour is the car? a good wash / detail will keep it looking a million dollars.

Polish, colourcode bumpers, change grill to the one of a 93 ute, tyre shine, repaint any faded metals around windows etc....

all other mods that have been suggested ie: WHEELS are a must, lowering and tinting, should have it looking sweet in no time

#12 ·
I'll give you some inspiration. Here's my old ride, and me when I was a young fella. Go the SVO wheels that I had, and lower it with tint. 12 slotters also look nice.

#13 ·
awesome, im really keen to get a tint and lowered. i think ill put off gettin subs and get the tint first, oh and like how much does it cost to get it lowered?

#14 ·
g'day mate,

these are budget ideas stuff i did when i was 17/18. Some cheap stuff still looks good.
u can get a window tint for around 100 bucks. It looks the same as any other tint but after a few years (5 or 6 in my experience) goes abit purple (this will suit your bugdet for the ). I've seen it advertised for 89 bucks but most places like express tint advertise 99 dollars. Every car I sell gets the 99 buck treatment it adds to the look.

get some cheap rims from the trading post. 14 inch you can use your old tyres. 100 bucks max for jellybean, hotwire, globe, delta star or even 12 slots.
You can lower your car buy purchasing lowering clamps for your springs (they may be illegal in your state so check first) 20 bucks.

colour code your tail lights, (a can of spray on tint costs about 12 dollars, try this on your tailights).

this is just budget stuff, you could do all this for 250 -300 bucks. if you tell us your budget we can help.

#15 ·
hell yeah that sounds awesome, thats good even if it did only last 5 or 6 years because i believe that i will be getting a new car for my 18th birthday at the end of the year and i was gunna sell the xf when that happened but if i can get it looking nice i might keep it around. my budget, well im sposed to be saving for uni (hehe) i get like $680 a fortnight (bloody traineeship wages) and then get taxed shitloads kos i work for qld government lol. ummm so yeah i would be willing to spend like 400 or 500 bucks on some mods. i live in Goondiwindi (anyone heard of it), pretty small town bout 2 hours from toowoomba and 4 from brisbane so yeah. i like the idea of that 99 dollar tint where abouts could i get that done??

#16 ·
crap....the only place in town here will give me a window tint for $280, darkest possible legal tint too. i rang a few places in toowoomba i cant find any that will do the 99 dollar treatment so i guess i might just have to cough up the dough? :(, i bought a set of seat covers, ill take a picture when i get em on so u can see what she's like at the moment, oh and i got some black touch up paint kos all the black paint around the windows n stuff was fairly worn/stripped so yeah im at work but yeah on break i just been sittin out there painting away lol.

#18 ·
also XH ute single slot grille, darker lights, debadging. If you want to enjoy ur car, get a new air filter ,extractors and performance plugs. Also uprate the suspension, Lower springs, stiffer bushes, and if budget stretches anti roll bar and dampers. good luck xf_dude

#19 ·
Man I know what ure on about, wanting to make it look nicer. I had as my first car when I got my liscence last year a 93 XGS-pak ute. it was my old mans ole workhorse.

Take note though, I spent a hell of a lot of money on it with stereo and performance mods trying to convince myself to enjoy it, but my heart was never in it.

By all means, lower it, tint it put nice wheels on it and maybe an exhaust, but champ, its your first car. Dont go overboard!!

Oh, and want some golden advice on a simple mod to keep it looking unreal.... KEEP IT CLEAN! VERY CLEAN! as I did with the xg.

By the way, heres a photo

maybe you should also look at getting an XG grille.... They look good!

cheers Champ
-XR6child

#21 ·
Some more inspriation for you...

These are pics of my car... an XG ute grill = $60 (not painted), Twin headlights = $595 (not painted and fit straight in), rear wing = $230 (not painted).

Or you could get a MMM bodykit = $2000 - $2500. (courtesy of Chad)

Just some rough ideas for the interior (courtesy of Dave) Notice the XH mirrors also.

#22 ·
g'day
I have some more budget ideas for u. I t seems us country boys like our modded xf's. I grew up near goondiwindi (been to 'The Gums' between Tara and Meandarra?). Wait for a trip to brisbane, premier tint and express tint do 99 buck jobs. There must be some old xfs or ea's lying around out there that u could get rims off. Toowoomba might have some good wreckers. There was a car yard in toowoomba called Col Holzberger Car Sales. My dad knew him and he knew where to get cheap accessories. U could see the business is still around and ring them. The drone of a loud exhaust can get tiresome on the long straight rods out there so maybe just a chrome exhaust tip until u have the bucks for a proper system. u can colour code the bumper strips pretty easy (clean them with waxsol first) same with mirrors. Maybe 'ford' or 'falcon' at the tip of your windscrren will attract the attention of those u seek to impress (what's her name??? lol). make sure u give her a good polish and maybe gett a set of 29 dollar spotties (driving lights to the city folk) from supercheap and mount them on the underside of ur bumper.

#23 ·
I just remembered. doesn't the s-pak already have alloys?? or at least those round hole 12 slotters??? Clean em up. Paint them if necessary, don't spend the bucks until u can afford 17's. flash up what u have. A chrome 12 slot cap fits in the middle of the newer ones too

#24 ·
My turn

colour code the whole outside of the car, mirrors, (unscrew the plastic outher bit, and do that part only, dont pull the mirror out, and then get dad to tell you that its a 10 second job like what happened to me) xg grille, and paint it, colour code bumpers, remove stripes, get snoflakes, tint windows, lower, exhaust, mabye a fliter upgrade, or cai, the spotties under the bumper,
and just make sure the car is clean, and washed, also tire black the tires, cars look soo much nicer with black tires, instead of white, grey, and a bit of black...

geez out of all the pics i got, i dont have one of my xf with the colour coded mirrors, or the xg grille, geez... i really hated that car not to take many pics of it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.