Help needed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2004, 16:02   #1 (permalink)

Help needed

Does anyone know how to remove chrome roof gutter moulds from an XB without destroying them?Is there a special tool for it?
Anthony P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2004, 16:33   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Help needed

You have to pop the bottom edge out first and be very careful as they easily mark. It look me about 1.5 hours to get mine off. If you have the opportunity try on a dud car first? Otherwise you can rip them off and buy new ones @ $30ea from rarespares.

[edit]You have to slightly peel the underside which can be knocked back flat so you'd never know. I used a small flat blade screw driver and a normal sized one. I wiggled till it slowly came off. Start from the back of the car. The front section is the hardest bit.

Brenden
Old 07-26-2004, 17:58   #3 (permalink)

Show me a Rare Spares that sells NEW roof gutter moulds for $30 each. What are you talking about? DO they FIT?
Old 07-26-2004, 18:02   #4 (permalink)

$30 yeah right.
TICK4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 21:27   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P
Does anyone know how to remove chrome roof gutter moulds from an XB without destroying them?Is there a special tool for it?
I normally use a tool I have been told is a "bricky's Chisel". It has a wide[about 2"] flat head and I slightly rounded the top edge and resharpenned it , to more correctly shape it to the main gutter-mould shape for less damage.I then say sit on the the front seat with door open [Or you can start at the back], position the tool behind the start of the lip edge of the mould and lightly but assertivaley tap away from you with a small hammer etc...It takes a lot of patients to do it properly. You could maybe consider shaping a bit of pine instead of what I use as it is much softer and if succesful will do less damage with inexperience. Note...the hardest parts are alway's on the bend's and on a sedan , around the middle pillar section...goodluck !!!Also , once you have an edge started or even have a fair bit or most of one off...Do not try and pull them off from the outside , or you will most likely kink them !!!
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 00:25   #6 (permalink)

Someone has a set of S/H Coupe ones on EBAY. They have reached a starting bid of $480!!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....e=STRK:MEWA:IT
Old 07-27-2004, 01:15   #7 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

I've used a peice of hardwood timber and with a mallet tapped them up from the bottom edge slowly moving along, but patience is the key here, to fast and your likely to bend them.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons