Originally Posted by 1000
I've had the XR 6 for around two weeks now and absolutely love it. I've noticed a few very minor things about the car that I thought you guys might be familiar with.. I'm a fussy bugger but I want to know if these things are just standard with the BA XR6's or whether I need to get them checked out at the first service:
1. auto-gearbox changing from 1st to 2nd is a little "clicky". It feels a little jumpy.. or maybe just a bit eager but I really feel a "notchy" pull when moving from 1st to 2nd in adaptive mode. The change from 2nd to 3rd is much smoother. Is this just a standard behavior from the gearbox ? It's done it since day 1.
2. Cruise Control - when I am about 110km and move into cruise.. there is a definite change in the engine and things fell a little "rougher".. not to the point where the car feels like it's gonna shake to pieces.. but a little course feel that I can definitely feel in my hands at the wheel
3. Oil dip-stick - sits quite loose in it's slot in the engine... there is a little rubber ring on it which I assume is the seal.. but other car's I've had fit the dipstick very snugly.. this one feels quite loose.. is this normal ?
Lastly, I have almost 1k on the clock now.. when it goes for it's 3k service should I insist on getting the oil changed (don't mind paying).. or should the run-in oil be left in there for longer, or even until the 15k ? Gotta confess I'm uncomfortable leaving oil for 15,000 clicks.. I've never left it that long for any of the cars I've owned.. especially when running in and all the little metal shavings and grime running around in a new engine.
p.s. Goddamn Shockwave is hard to keep clean.. my carwash (Meguirs) leaves water spots all over it and it's near impossible to shammy all the suckers off.
Howdy 1000 - great color choice if I may say so!
1. The gearbox is very tight from new. Mine was also much more notchy in adaptive mode than in "D" but its really losened up now and very "buttery". I've got a bit under 15,000kms now. I'd say its still early days for you - the boxes definitely take some time to losen up. Slowly engaging Reverse is also a standard feature of the box - a bit of a pain when reversing up steep driveways in a hurry when the engine is hot.
2. It could be some exhaust resonance, wheel alignment issue or semi-round tyre. I'd get it checked out. I can't say mine's harsh at all at 110km/h.
3. Standard feature - no oil leaks though. I noticed this too.
As for the oil change, i switched to Shell 15w50 semi-synth with a PureONE filter after 5000km, letting the engine bed in for a while with the original mineral oil. The oil that came out was quite thin, dirty and greasy looking. I would avoid fully synth until at least 10000km.
I doubt the water marks are from the meguires - *joke* you do hose it off with water don't you?
Its definately not easy to keep, but when its clean its definately a crowd magnet.
Enjoy your T.